SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:32 pm 

I had an idea the other day and maybe some of you guys can help out with some input. So, I thought it could be fun to make "Gamma World" a kind of Dream Park/Westworld type amusement park, but set it inside the post-holocaust world of Buck Rogers XXVc. The two setting are very different from each other, with XXVc having a very conservative take on the genre, reflecting what was presented in the comic strip and GW being, frankly, pretty stupid when you get right down to it.

So, I guess the first thing would be just how would you present something like this? A sober and realistic "LARP" like Westworld? Or a funhouse with a theme, where you're not immersed in the setting, just enjoying the ride? Holograms? Robots? Both? I'm just workshopping this to see if anyone has any ideas I can steal and, hopefully, offering ideas that can be stolen in turn.

So, what say you? A potential good time or a waste of it?

Thanks for responding :)

"I'm not suggesting anything Doctor. If I want to throw a baby out an airlock I'll do it."- President Laura Roslin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:52 pm 

Sad there have been no replies. Did you go ahead with the idea in the end?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:23 am 

Oculus Orbus wrote:
and GW being, frankly, pretty stupid when you get right down to it.

Wish I'd seen this earlier. :lol:

Probably make a nice holodeck program. Captain Proton Does Westworld.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 am 

So, I'm not the only one watching Westworld and thinking, this is like a no holds barred RPG? Send the PCs to this world when they can't behave themselves in the "real" world.

Gamma World I am not familiar with, Buck Rogers is a dim memory of the TV series.

I can see it working in the context of BR XXVc as an outlet, somewhere people go to let off steam, a rich person's playground, very much as the TV series is portraying it. In that sense, I'd say its a good fit. How you choose to make the game fit depends on the tech you have available. WW has I think overplayed the smartness of it's "hosts", from a TV sense I am fine with that, from the sense that if this tech was available, the worlds would be a very different place, not so. If you want borderline AI and androids indistinguishable from humans then go the WW route, a virtual theme park might make for a better ride for me, the new comers of WW are too immune to being shot, a VR would change that. Of course, you might want your players to have a sense of invincibility. I'm sure there are ways to replicate that in a more physical setting.