SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [Jovian Chronicles]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:50 am 

Thoughts on Jovian Chronicles by Dream Pod 9? I can do without "giant robots," but I think I like the background setting even better than Transhuman Space.

Post subject: Re: [Jovian Chronicles]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:05 pm 
Administrator

JC is one of my favourite settings - though I don't like how the tech is deliberately crippled so that it's not like Transhuman Space. The ship designs are really good though - unfortunately DP9 couldn't really decide what to do with it - it started out as a military 'giant robot anime' type thing and then suddenly veered off into investigative/police style when the Solapol books came out. And then it just fizzled out along with the other DP9 RPGs when they attempted to update it to SilCore (which turned out to be a broken "updated" version of Silhouette).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:19 am 

Agreed. I have a big stack of 1e JC books, and the artwork and design are amazing. Not a huge fan of the giant fighty robots in general, but they have pretty cool non-robot fightercraft. The 1e technical manual has a complicated system that would let you design your own fightercraft, too, if you felt ambitious, but get a spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 am 

Quote:
And then it just fizzled out along with the other DP9 RPGs when they attempted to update it to SilCore (which turned out to be a broken "updated" version of Silhouette).

Some of the books contained BESM d20 stats. Don't know if they ever released an entire d20 version.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:12 am 

I've been reading the first edition setting fluff for this recently. The setting really appeals to me. Like you two, I'm not keen on the giant robots and anime tropes in what's otherwise meant to be a fairly hard sci-fi setting but I do like the slightly more pulpy feel to it than say Transhuman Space or 2300AD. I like that it's limited to our solar system (and even then not all of it if I remember correctly). I'd really like to run a campaign set in the JC setting but my problem is that it's a lot of setting info to dump on players before they can even create a character. I think if I were to run it, I would probably use Savage Worlds. I've nothing against DP9's silcore system (I don't really know it), but SW will handle it and I know it better.