SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:33 am 

Someone did that years ago, and called it USS High Guard. Beside the fact I don't want to duplicate someone else's work, I want to avoid as many Traveller tropes as possible.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:08 am 

Traveller wrote:
Someone did that years ago, and called it USS High Guard. Beside the fact I don't want to duplicate someone else's work, I want to avoid as many Traveller tropes as possible.

I saw that right after I posted my message. It's written by the same guy who wrote Orbital. It's exactly what I was talking about. I would've done it a little differently, but it's almost perfect. I don't know why you wouldn't use it.

It seems to me that character generation would be the easiest part. The Traveller combat rules would be a much bigger problem. If you actually follow the rules, characters tend to die quickly. That might be ok for Red Shirts, but Starfleet Command is going to have a problem with your Bridge Crew getting killed every week. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:37 pm 

Well, the obvious answer to why I wouldn't use it is because USS High Guard is not licensed under the OGL. The discussion about why I wouldn't use it is moot anyway; the basic rules are already done. Once I get my contracted work completed I can actually work on the sourcebook part.

As to combat, in Star Trek it is far more deadly than in Traveller. Traveller energy weapons do not have a stun setting, and every weapon causes some amount of damage to characteristics. In Star Trek, Federation phasers have up to 16 different settings, ranging from stun to kill to vaporize. Phasers at the highest settings can even clear out rubble. In my rule set phasers don't do X dice of damage to the target, but use Traveller's damage conditions instead. The only reason more people don't get vaporized is that Starfleet has a code of ethics and doesn't immediately go for lethal force. The same cannot be said for the Klingons or Romulans.

Other weapons such as swords and rifles do dice of damage.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)