SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 pm 

Is there anything in the Traveller SRD that isn't in Cepheus? I know Cepheus includes a few things that aren't in the SRD. Wondered if there's anything that was left out in favor of new/house rules.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:51 am 

I got quite excited about the Cepheus Engine, even got a print version through Lulu, but there doesn't seem to be much talk about it. I see most former MGT1 3PPs seem to be switching over to it - in fact, that's how I first got to hear about it - but that's it. Does Flynn have an active website these days?

I have my hands full these days with BLUEHOLME™ and the AEON:engine™, but the release of Cepheus Engine coinciding with the return of Crimson Dark has me thinking Traveller again. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:21 pm 

Vile wrote:
I got quite excited about the Cepheus Engine, even got a print version through Lulu, but there doesn't seem to be much talk about it. I see most former MGT1 3PPs seem to be switching over to it - in fact, that's how I first got to hear about it - but that's it. Does Flynn have an active website these days?

I have my hands full these days with BLUEHOLME™ and the AEON:engine™, but the release of Cepheus Engine coinciding with the return of Crimson Dark has me thinking Traveller again. :)

Here's Jason "Flynn" Kemp's primary site:

http://stellarreaches.nwgamers.org/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm 

I've been out of gaming circles the last 7 months and returned to the shit storm that is Mongoose's treatment of the 3PP and TAS.

I've downloaded CE and started looking thru it to tweak for a setting I'm writing. Prior to the release of MgT 2e I'd had little interest in the SRD as I owned pretty much all of the 1e rules.

I just had a quick search for a PDF of the SRD and found it as part of Mongoose's Traveller Development Pack. It's probably possible(!) to do a comparison in Word between the two documents but I don't have the patience! (Sorry Matt!)

From what I've read I was surprised to be able to find the SRD, I thought Mongoose were taking it down?

For some reason I too was excited by the prospect of CE, I think that was in part just a final realization of banging my head against the brick wall that is Mongoose (1e or 2e) and how it was never going to be the ruleset I wanted and that an OGL version stripped of all the extra rule books was all I ever needed anyway. Yeah OK, I'm a bit slow, the SRD was that already.

Matt, I can't answer your question, what I'm hoping the CE does is clean up the typos and contradictions of MgT 1e, as I go thru it I'll post what I find.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:08 pm 

I'm also interested to see Gypsy Knight Games' Clement Sector Rules to be published this Friday, the 14th. They've taken the CE and tweaked it for their setting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:53 am 

I know in another thread I mentioned Traveller not being the right rule set for Star Trek. After looking through the Cepheus Engine SRD, I have to revise that statement. It's not that Traveller isn't the right rule set. It's the character generation system that isn't right for Star Trek. Not realizing that until now is why the holy grail of a Traveller-based Star Trek game has eluded me for thirty friggin years.

So I started a wholesale conversion and expansion of FASA Star Trek to the Cepheus rules. I'm biased, but I'm liking how things are turning out so far. With Cepheus, it only took me two weekends to whip up something playable. I'm hoping to get the rough draft done soon.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:38 pm 

Seems to me, you could adapt the Character Generation system for ST pretty easily.

You just need to account for Star Fleet Academy. I suggest giving characters 3-5 rolls (3+EDU DM?) rolls on several skill tables, then you could use a regular career to advance them to whatever age you want. Easy-Peasy. The idea would be that you get most of your training at the Academy then improve slightly in a few areas (normal Traveller).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:08 pm 

I already had done that, thirty years ago. It didn't work that well back then, and it doesn't now. This is because Cepheus and Traveller assume the character begins as a raw recruit and works their way up. The system doesn't take into account Starfleet Academy, and it also doesn't take into account that characters will remain in Starfleet as they enter play. I seriously think this is the problem Mongoose and Amarillo Design Bureau ran into when trying to create Traveller: Prime Directive. They tried to make Star Trek fit the rules set, rather than adapting the rules set to fit Star Trek. Being unwilling to change the game rules, coupled with Amarillo Design Bureau's insistence that no flavor text can be changed, and you have problems that cannot be overcome. Thus, Traveller: Prime Directive died.

So Cepheus/Traveller lifepath generation got chucked in favor of FASA Trek's lifepath system, which already accounts for the academy as well as the character's subsequent Starfleet experience up to the point the character begins play. In fact, FASA Trek made conversion to Cepheus easy to do by providing proficiency levels for its skills, which maps nicely with Cepheus/Traveller skill levels. The only thing I needed to do was adapt a percentile conversion chart from Middle-earth Role Playing and I was off to the races.

I'm actually working out quick and dirty universal vehicle combat rules, using information in FASA Trek as a base. While the vehicle rules can be used to quickly generate attributes for vehicles, there won't be any detailed rules for starship construction, unlike FASA Trek. In Star Trek, the vehicle is just a means of getting to the next planet, thus a detailed starship construction system isn't necessary.

In general, this game isn't going to be compatible with Cepheus or Traveller. While some equipment from Cepheus or Traveller can likely be imported into this game, energy weapons don't convert well at all since weapon effects in game do not cause a random amount of damage but have specific effects based upon weapon settings (thanks to LUGTrek). Since I'm not using the Cepheus starship construction and combat rules, porting starships is pretty much useless. Characters definitely are not compatible, as there is no Social Standing attribute, Psionic ability is limited to telepathic talents, and the characters in this game are extremely competent as they have a greater number of skills than the average Cepheus/Traveller character. I can't say yet about how compatible world and creature generation will be, but odds are worlds will be mostly compatible while animals won't.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:37 pm 

Are the changes to the worldbuilding system from Book 3 (modifiers to population roll, starport type based on population, etc.) innovations introduced in Cepheus, or are they present in the Mongoose Traveller SRD?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:40 pm 

They were OPTIONAL rules in the 1st Edition, but I don't know if they made it into the SRD (I think so). I don't have my copy here, but it would be easy enough to check the SRD is still available on the Mongoose site.

I suggested the Starport/Population connection (My piece of Traveller history...)