SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 pm 

Thanks for the reminder. Assuming the version at traveller-srd.com is reasonably accurate, it does seem as if the world creation rules have been tweaked from the SRD version.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:34 am 

I know this is the opposite to the OP but I never noticed in 1st ed MgT the part on page 29 of the CE that says:

Cepheus Engine wrote:
Because the Athlete, Barbarian, Belter, Drifter, Entertainer, Hunter and Scout career do not have commission or advancement checks, characters get to make two rolls for skills instead of one every term.

Was I just blind all these years or is this in the MgT SRD but not the 1st ed or is it unique to Cepheus Engine?

It's a very generous rule, commission or advancement are not guaranteed so the extra skill these careers gets is handy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:52 pm 

Cepheus Engine combines information from two SRDs: Mongoose Traveller and T20. That snippet could be from either of them, but is likely from T20, as the Mongoose SRD only provided the scout as a career. The rule itself however dates all the way back to Classic Traveller. Scouts have always gotten two skill rolls per term as the service doesn't have commissions or promotions.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:18 pm 

Supplement 4 Barbarians had ranks (though only two had names) and promotion rolls. Belters, Doctors, Rogues, Scientists, and Hunters did not, but there's no mention of extra skills -- probably because Supplement 4 falls between Traveller 1st (1977) edition, which didn't have the rule for Scouts, and 2d (1981) edition, which did.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:11 pm 

In the MGT1 SRD, all careers had ranks (even if they didn't have rank names). The Roll 2 skills comes from the OLD DAYS, when Scouts and Others didn't have ranks, so got 2 rolls. If a career had ranks, then you get 1 roll plus a roll when Promoted; without ranks you got 2 rolls.

As was said above, this is a mix.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:25 pm 

Traveller wrote:
Cepheus Engine combines information from two SRDs: Mongoose Traveller and T20. That snippet could be from either of them, but is likely from T20, as the Mongoose SRD only provided the scout as a career. The rule itself however dates all the way back to Classic Traveller. Scouts have always gotten two skill rolls per term as the service doesn't have commissions or promotions.

Not always... only since 1981... The 1977 Book 1 has no mention of Scouts getting two skill rolls per term...

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:33 pm 

thrash wrote:
Supplement 4 Barbarians had ranks (though only two had names) and promotion rolls. Belters, Doctors, Rogues, Scientists, and Hunters did not, but there's no mention of extra skills -- probably because Supplement 4 falls between Traveller 1st (1977) edition, which didn't have the rule for Scouts, and 2d (1981) edition, which did.

Note that Module 3, The Spinward Marches Campaign adds two rolls per term for Belters, Doctors, Rogues, Scientists, and Hunters.

Book 1 Other career never was granted two rolls per term as far as I can tell...

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:40 pm 

ffilz wrote:
Not always... only since 1981... The 1977 Book 1 has no mention of Scouts getting two skill rolls per term...

Shows you how often I look at my copy of 1977 Book 1. :)

I stand corrected.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:42 am 

ffilz wrote:
Note that Module 3, The Spinward Marches Campaign adds two rolls per term for Belters, Doctors, Rogues, Scientists, and Hunters.

... and is copyright 1985, which is consistent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:10 am 

Traveller wrote:
I already had done that, thirty years ago. It didn't work that well back then, and it doesn't now. This is because Cepheus and Traveller assume the character begins as a raw recruit and works their way up. The system doesn't take into account Starfleet Academy, and it also doesn't take into account that characters will remain in Starfleet as they enter play.

I don't see why you can't use High Guard. Just give automatic skills for the Naval Academy, Flight School, Staff College, Command College, or whatever. If you don't want random skills, do like T20 and give so many skill points for completing each school. Remaining in Starfleet is no problem. Just don't muster out.

Quote:
I seriously think this is the problem Mongoose and Amarillo Design Bureau ran into when trying to create Traveller: Prime Directive. They tried to make Star Trek fit the rules set, rather than adapting the rules set to fit Star Trek. Being unwilling to change the game rules, coupled with Amarillo Design Bureau's insistence that no flavor text can be changed, and you have problems that cannot be overcome. Thus, Traveller: Prime Directive died.

I'm sorry to hear that, but something tells me that the ADB liaison chick isn't going to miss all the pedants on the Mongoose fora. :lol: