SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:49 pm 

Has anyone played Fragged Empire? I'd be interested to hear what it's like. I've bought a copy but not had time to read it yet (too many games!).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:29 pm 

I've never heard of it. What's it about?

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 pm 

It is about successor species to humanity (various genetically engineered species, thousands of years in the future) starting to recolonise the stars after a catastrophic interstellar war. Exploring abandoned systems, salvaging war wrecks, etc.

The system has a lot of resource mamagement in it and I wondered how that plays out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:40 am 

strontygirl wrote:
Has anyone played Fragged Empire? I'd be interested to hear what it's like. I've bought a copy but not had time to read it yet (too many games!).

I have read through it ... and, IMO, it is not playable as it stands ... it seems to be an attempt to create a Real Time Strategy pen and paper RPG, and the constraints on equipment and resources (for example) while they may make sense (more on this below) in relation to the rules, make no sense in relation to anything meant to even vaguely resemble real life.

This may be partly a function of one of the worst organised rulebooks it has been my unfortunate 'honour' to encounter ... rules are piled higgledy piggeldy all over the place with no obvious rhyme or reason. That's when they make sense at all ... the various 'levels' of play/encounter type left me completely bemused and wondering what the h*** was meant by them, not in the least how in the h*** they were supposed to work.

There is no usable index, so it is random chance as to whether you find the key rule you need to interpret whatever rule it is you're currently stumped by ... it might be in the same chapter (bit almost certainly won't be), it might be several chapters prior or several chapters later and, wherever it is, it will not be highlighted in any meaningful way.

Missile weapon combat is as silly and unbelievable as in Battletech (that is, the ranges are ridiculously and unrealistically short).

All that said, the background is not completely ridiculous even if the rules are unusable, and I have backed their current Kickstarter for their first major supplement ... I just don't care for the rules that underpin it.

YMMV.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:22 pm 

Thanks. I started to read it, but got annoyed by the short stories/fluff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:32 am 

I just downloaded the Quick-Start Rules.

Combat looks like it was designed for miniatures.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:12 am 

LiNeNoiSe wrote:
I just downloaded the Quick-Start Rules.

Combat looks like it was designed for miniatures.

Indeed, the whole thing seems to combine the worst functional parts of miniatures rules and computer real time strategy games coupled with the most abysmal level of organisation I have even been confronted with ... as I intimated, some of the key rule sections remain incomprehensible to me even after desperately trawling through the book to try and find explanations of key terms, concepts and other related material.

And, yes, the fiction is annoying ... but not the worst I've encountered in RPG books.

Phil