SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:46 am 

I never owned or played SPI's SFRPG "Universe", but I used to know some SPI fans who loved it. I remember their having particular praise for the star map, a 22" by 33" poster-sized #-D map of all the stars within 30 light-years. I think the third dimension was indicated with colour.

Does anyone here know about the star map from Universe? What catalogue was it based on? Gliese 1.0?

I seem to recall a conversation in which one Universe fan was asking another, who was studying astronomy, whether a particular star with a colourful name, appearing on the Universe map was a real star given a name that matched the Universe history, and if so, which real tar it was. Does that recollection ring any bells?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:28 pm 

More likely to be Gleise 2.0, since it was published in 1979 and Universe was published in 1981.

You might do well to contact Winchell Chung of Project Rho (nyrath@projectrho.com), since star maps are one of his hobbies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:07 pm 

The star maps used X, Y, Z coordinates for dimensions along with the color coding.

One thing that always got me with Universe was that swords weren't usable at any range. That effectively rendered the sword useless. Murphy's Rules picked up on it too. :)

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:20 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
I never owned or played SPI's SFRPG "Universe", but I used to know some SPI fans who loved it. I remember their having particular praise for the star map, a 22" by 33" poster-sized #-D map of all the stars within 30 light-years. I think the third dimension was indicated with colour.

Does anyone here know about the star map from Universe? What catalogue was it based on? Gliese 1.0?

I seem to recall a conversation in which one Universe fan was asking another, who was studying astronomy, whether a particular star with a colourful name, appearing on the Universe map was a real star given a name that matched the Universe history, and if so, which real tar it was. Does that recollection ring any bells?

I've got it. Played it around 1980. It's the Glise 2 catalog. Equatorial co-ordinates. One or two had odd names, but I can't remember which ones. Fan versions used to be on some Australian site.

Looks like some of the files are on Source Forge. The map doesn't seem to be there. I'll look around. Somebody entered all the co-ordinates by hand and made pdf's out them. Probably be more useful than the map that came with the game.

Ok, found the charts. Looks like there used to be more files there.

I entered the entire map into ChView a few years back. Some of the stars were a bit off, but it was fairly easy to determine most of them. I'll look around for the file.

BTW, equatorial co-ordinates still suck. :D