SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [Cepheus Engine]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm 

simonh wrote:
Maybe if you post it here, but it might be worth getter my in touch with the author if the Cepheus system about collaborating on an advanced system generation supplement, or something of the sort.

For myself, I have several world generation scripts up of GitHub, have released StarBase as a downloadable app and I'm working on a world/sector generation and editing app for the iPad. I'd definitely be interested in automating your system, with your permission and appropriate attribution of course.

Simon Hibbs

Speaking of Starbase - I tried downloading the Windows executable, but all I got was a "file not found" error message.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:50 am 

EDG wrote:
But I'd basically have to relinquish ownership of it? I'm not really a fan of that idea if it does. What about something like Creative Commons?

If you release your Extended World Generation Rules as Open Game Content (OGC), you retain ownership of the copyright in the work. However, you grant other people a license to use the work in accordance with the terms of the Open Game License (OGL). If create derivative works based upon your work, they must attribute your work as a source as required by Section 15 of the OGL. For example, if a publisher decides to extend your work in some way or produce UWPs based upon your methods, they must provide appropriate attribution. It is also good manners for them to communicate their intentions with you beforehand, although this is not explicitly required by the OGL.

Please note that the OGL does permit you to declare some sections of your work as Product Identity (PI), excluding it from the material licensed for reuse. The Open Game License only gives you the right to copy, modify and distribute Open Game Content, unless you have a separate license from whomever owns the Product Identity. One common approach is to release any new rules elements as OGL but to declare all proper names and other setting elements as Product Identity that is not available for reuse. Another common approach is to release 70% - 80% of the new material as OGC but retain exclusive control over the remaining 20% - 30% of the content.

Under Section 1d of the OGL, if you release a product under the license the following material becomes OGC by default:

Quote:
"the game mechanic and the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor."

Under Section 1e of the OGL, the following material is product identity by default unless you choose to release it as OGC:

Quote:
"product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts, creatures, characters, stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity"

Speaking personally, I believe that a young system such as the Cepheus Engine can benefit from establishing a library of OGC enabling it to compete with established systems such as MgT.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:24 am 
Administrator

Thanks for that, Prime Evil! That clarifies things somewhat. I'd presumably have to publish the work as a PDF or something though, right? (rather than just having it here as a forum post)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:07 am 

EDG wrote:
Thanks for that, Prime Evil! That clarifies things somewhat. I'd presumably have to publish the work as a PDF or something though, right? (rather than just having it here as a forum post)

You can publish it in whatever format you like, although if you release it under the OGL you also need to attach a copy of the license with an updated Section 15 containing the details of any upstream OGC that you have used (such as the Cepheus Engine rules).

One technical point worth noting is that the OGL does not permit you to indicate compatibility with any game system, so if you want to say that your work is compatible with the Cepheus Engine you must also comply with the terms of the Cepheus Engine Compatibility-Statement License (CSL) at the back of the Cepheus Engine rules - they are fairly straightforward though.

It is also a good idea to also include a statement clearly indicating which parts of the work are released as Open Game Content and which parts are reserved as Product Identity. Here's an example of how you might word it, assuming that you want to be fairly permissive:

Product Identity: The following is designated as product identity: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names, dialogue, plots, storylines, locations, characters, artworks, logos, symbols, graphic designs, and trade dress.

Open Content: Except for material designated as Product Identity (see above), the text and tables in this product are Open Game Content, as defined in the Open Gaming License version 1.0a, Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission. This document is published under the Open Game License version 1.0a. Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 am 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Speaking of Starbase - I tried downloading the Windows executable, but all I got was a "file not found" error message.

I think dropbox must have aged out the link or something, the file is still there. I've re-shared the file and updated the URL on the page linked from my sig, so you should be able to get it now.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 am 

Thanks! Downloading it right now.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm 

Prime Evil wrote:
You can publish it in whatever format you like, although if you release it under the OGL you also need to attach a copy of the license with an updated Section 15 containing the details of any upstream OGC that you have used (such as the Cepheus Engine rules).

If you want to publish it web style, maybe take a look at the traveller srd websites for reference and see how they post that info. Probs you could just create a page on your edg website with the license at the bottom.