SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [Cepheus Engine]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:22 pm 

At the end of the day, the CE SRD is going to show it's heritage, we've had MgT long enough for it to be synonymous with the Third Imperium and it irks me whenever I hear or read someone claim that MgT is a game system not a setting. It's a claim too far!

I think the best answer to the question of CE's setting independence is to look at what Zozer, Stellagama and Gypsy Knight Games are doing.

I like and perhaps more importantly, I am used to, 2d6 mechanics, maybe it's true that there are newer systems that are better to play but I'm happy focusing on the setting rather than learning a new rule set and CE makes that easier.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 pm 

The CE retains "social standing" as a stat, which implies a setting with a nobility or hierarchy, but it's easy enough to swap it out with a stat like "charisma".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:51 pm 

I change SOC, can't stand the ideas of nobility that Traveller clings to. I tend to prefer something along the lines of Communication, I like to leave players to act out charisma.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 pm 

I tend to construe SOC - in non-imperial Terran societies - as a measure of the character's influence and connections. High SOC denotes friends in high places and connections you can call upon to get things done. It has less formal legal meaning, but rather a more informal - and often shady - meaning. E.g., do you happen to know some big-time bureaucrat in the local Ministry of Colonization and Space Travel office who can get you a license for military-grade particle-beam turret weapons with no questions asked?

SOC is only one approach to getting things done. Its ultimate use is SOC+Carousing - getting into all sorts of events of the rich and the famous (and politicians) and having "informal chats" with all sorts of highly-placed people. An alternative approach could be, for example, INT+Admin - or INT+Legal; a good lawyer can "game the system" even without connections by finding the right loopholes in the law and knowing exactly which form to submit for what request and how to fill it.

EDIT: SOC also denotes things with greater legal meaning such as criminal records and credit ratings*. What does a cop see when she brings up your record on her hand comp? What do bankers see when you request credit services?

* Both updated throughout Terran space, though, of course, subject to travel lags.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
I tend to construe SOC - in non-imperial Terran societies - as a measure of the character's influence and connections.

I use SOC in a very similar way, a kind of mix of reputation and of status. A character with a high SOC has more influence and more access to resources than a character with a low SOC. However, a high SOC is not inherited, it has to be earned, and depending on the activities and the success or failure of the character his SOC can increase or decrease. For example, in my Eshura Colony setting (using These Stars Are Ours! as background universe) a character whose activities help to improve the settlers' lives will increase his SOC, and with a sufficiently high SOC he may one day be voted into a leadership position, while a character whose activities are contrary to the interests of the settlers will decrease his SOC, and with a really low SOC may become an outcast, or may even be forced into exile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 pm 

I am also thinking about the influence of military rank on social standing-related tasks. In many situations, you can "pull rank" and use a military rank in place of your SOC DM, if your SOC DM is lower. Rank O4 gives DM +0, Rank O5 DM +1, Rank O6 DM +2. Decorations can also give DMs.

This works well in situations involving state authorities and police, as well as in politics. It is less effective in corporate settings; to a bank, for example, your credit history always matters more than your military rank.

High SOC and military rank can help you avoid trouble with the law and prosecution. However, if you DO get into an actual court, neither SOC nor military rank are of real importance; instead, having a good skill in Law and/or Admin, as well as good INT and/or EDU, will get you out of trouble. The UTR, despite a certain level of corruption and a good dose of bureaucracy, still retains decent rule of law. A good lawyer - or being of the legal profession yourself - will help you fare better than connections of medals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 pm 

Does anyone here know how to contact the creator of the Cepheus Engine?

I´ve noticed a few errors in the SRD that I´d like to report.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:53 pm 
Administrator

I know it's Jason "Flynn" Kemp... doesn't look like Samardan Press has a website though. I think he's on Facebook?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm 

There are Cepheus Engine discussion groups on Facebook and Google Plus - You can definitely find Mr. Kemp there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:20 pm 
Administrator

I posted this on the Cepheus G+ group, but I'll ask here -

What would be my motivations for making my worldgen rules available as open content (via Cepheus), and how would I go about doing it if I wanted to do that anyway?

Right now I've just said "please give me credit if you use these rules and don't republish them anywhere else", but I'm wondering what advantage Open Content has over that. 

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!