SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [Cepheus Engine]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 am 

It seems that the Cepheus Engine system is beginning to take off, with Stellagama's "These Stars Are Ours!", Zozer's "Solo" and now Samardan's "Vehicle Design System" (DTRPG, Pay What You Want) - three excellent publications coming out in a rather short time. I have already been away from Traveller for a while, because Mongoose's publications did not convince me, but now Cepheus Engine seems likely to rebuild my interest in a new 2D6 science fiction setting - especially since Zozer's "Solo" removes the necessity to hunt for players willing to give it a try. I wonder what others think about Cepheus Engine and its future ... :)

Post subject: Re: [Cepheus Engine]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:32 pm 

I believe Cepheus has a very bright future ahead of it. Too many people sick of Mongoose, MWM and the inner circle, and empty promises. Cepheus allows me to create the Star Trek game I always wanted, without being required to use things that don't fit, like social standing and 4-year terms.

The d20 system brought about the rise of retroclones. I expect Cepheus to do the same.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 am 

The Cepheus Engine is paradise incarnated for third-party publishers. Open license with no strings attached and fully modifiable rules while being compatible with many other 2D6 Sci-Fi games.

The 2D6 Sci-Fi Old Shool Revolution has begun!

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:10 am 

Can you tell me a bit about the Cepheus Engine? How does it compare to, for example, Mongoose Traveller?

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 am 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Can you tell me a bit about the Cepheus Engine? How does it compare to, for example, Mongoose Traveller?

This is a ruleset based on the Mongoose Traveller 1E SRD and is compatible with Mongoose Traveller 1E for the most part. However, it is more streamlined and somewhat closer to Classic Traveller.

You can get it at pay-what-you-want here:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/186 ... e-Document

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:46 pm 

I think a lot of people are tired of Mongoose. I don't know them personally but I just don't trust them to not screw the pooch with 2e. They just can't seem to get their shit together to release a finished product that's been well planned and executed. That said, I've just started a campaign using 2e as some of my players were reluctant to "learn a new rule set". I guess I failed to convince them that there was very little to learn, CE is a tidied up version of 1e MgT. The jury is out for me and 2e, this game will e a good test bed. I have some serious doubts, the new vehicle guide is full of vehicles more at home in a table top miniatures game than a RPG, likewise High Guard, just too much space devoted to ships I will never use in a game. I'm keen to get my hands on the vehicle guide referenced above, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I really like that it's OGL, that it's released in Word format so I can edit or expand it if I should choose to. I like that it's clearly laid out and easy to read. That one book will let me set up and play a SFRPG.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 pm 

One of my problems with Mongoose's Traveller is that too many of the rules and examples are directly or indirectly connected with the Third Imperium setting, which I do not like at all. Cepheus Engine is a pure toolbox without any implied setting, and this makes it much easier for me to design my own setting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
Sir Chaos wrote:

This is a ruleset based on the Mongoose Traveller 1E SRD and is compatible with Mongoose Traveller 1E for the most part. However, it is more streamlined and somewhat closer to Classic Traveller.

You can get it at pay-what-you-want here:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/186 ... e-Document

Okay, got the SRD. I haven´t given it an in-depth look yet, but so far, I like what I see.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 am 

rust wrote:
One of my problems with Mongoose's Traveller is that too many of the rules and examples are directly or indirectly connected with the Third Imperium setting, which I do not like at all. Cepheus Engine is a pure toolbox without any implied setting, and this makes it much easier for me to design my own setting.

Can you give me an example of how Mongoose Traveller is connected to the Third Imperium and Cepheus removed that connection?

So far I´ve seen setting-connected terms renamed (TAS to Explorers´ Society, Imperial Credit to Credit, Major and Minor Races to Dominant and Lesser Species, and so on), and three options for different FTL travel methods added.

The biggest Third Imperium specific rule element, Social Standing as a characteristic, is still in Cepheus, on the other hand.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:01 am 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Can you give me an example of how Mongoose Traveller is connected to the Third Imperium and Cepheus removed that connection?

The Third Imperium has a tendency to creep into many parts of the Mongoose Traveller books. An obvious example is the last chapter of Mongoose Traveller's High Guard supplement, the chapter with all the spacecraft examples designed with the High Guard system. It is named "Spacecraft of the Third Imperium", and all of the examples and their descriptions are taken from the Third Imperium setting.