SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [Cepheus Engine]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

EDG wrote:
I posted this on the Cepheus G+ group, but I'll ask here -

What would be my motivations for making my worldgen rules available as open content (via Cepheus), and how would I go about doing it if I wanted to do that anyway?

Right now I've just said "please give me credit if you use these rules and don't republish them anywhere else", but I'm wondering what advantage Open Content has over that. 

My layman´s understanding is that, since your worldgen rules still use a lot of elements of Traveller worldgen, you might get hit for copyright infringement if you published them as simply "EDG´s worldgen rules".

But if they were published as Open Content, with a "based on the Cepheus Engine rules" prominently display in the appropriate place, the Traveller elements in your rules (since Cepheus has those same elements) would be considered used according to the open content rules of the Cepheus Engine, and thus legally airtight.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 pm 
Administrator

They don't actually use much Traveller worldgen at all - only the government types, tech levels, and starport types (which I could genericise further). But yes, going with Cepheus would help with that.

Though I guess my question was more "what could people do with the rules if they were Open Content?".

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 pm 

EDG wrote:
They don't actually use much Traveller worldgen at all - only the government types, tech levels, and starport types (which I could genericise further). But yes, going with Cepheus would help with that.

You re-use a lot of Traveller concepts - starting with the UWP itself. How you arrive at the different digits is different, but the digits themselves, their definition, and the various Atmosphere, Government, Law Level and starport type codes, are recognizably based on Traveller. If it isn´t Open Content, a sufficiently vindictive IP owner could get anyone who republished the rules into trouble.

Quote:
Though I guess my question was more "what could people do with the rules if they were Open Content?".

Include them in their publications, for one thing. As far as I can tell, your current solution - letting people use them as long as they credit you whenever they publish the results - is fine, but if they were Open Content, people could also include the rules themselves in their publication, as long as they do all the necessary Open Content things.

IIRC, worldgen was NOT Open Content for T20, and and it explicitly said there "you can publish the results of using these rules, but can´t explain how you got those results", i.e. can´t republish the rules themselves.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:04 pm 

EDG wrote:

This would basically be the "5 Rs":
1) Retain – the right to make, own, and control copies of the content (e.g., download, duplicate, store, and manage)
2) Reuse – the right to use the content in a wide range of ways (e.g., in a class, in a study group, on a website, in a video)
3) Revise – the right to adapt, adjust, modify, or alter the content itself (e.g., translate the content into another language)
4) Remix – the right to combine the original or revised content with other open content to create something new (e.g., incorporate the content into a mashup)
5) Redistribute – the right to share copies of the original content, your revisions, or your remixes with others (e.g., give a copy of the content to a friend)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:11 pm 
Administrator

But I'd basically have to relinquish ownership of it? I'm not really a fan of that idea if it does. What about something like Creative Commons?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 pm 

EDG wrote:
But I'd basically have to relinquish ownership of it?

Unfortunately yes, at least concerning all parts you would declare as Open Content.

As for Creative Commons, I have to admit that I have no experience with it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:12 pm 
Administrator

So how would I declare it open content compatible with cepheus? Just tack on all the Open Content license stuff at the end? I guess I'd have to put it all in a PDF or something?

Technically the only specifically Traveller-related stuff is the social/starport codes (though I embellish the law codes a lot and don't explain what the rest means).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 am 

As long as you clearly identify the parts of your system that are OGC (Open Game Content), and those parts are the only parts that contain stuff that's already OGC, then you can retain whatever rights you want on the rest of the material that is original. So You would need to do a bit of re-organizing to split off the traveller-y or Cepheus-y bits in to their own chapter or set of pages and then declare that chapter or set of pages to be covered by the OGL.

Clearly you might need to include some of your own material in there so it makes sense and for usability reasons.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:26 pm 
Administrator

ok, I'll hide the post away for now and see what I can do over the coming week.

(though really I don't know if anyone even cares. I'm pretty sure only about 10 people at most would still be likely to be interested in this and I don't really want to spend too much time faffing around with it).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:52 pm 

Maybe if you post it here, but it might be worth getter my in touch with the author if the Cepheus system about collaborating on an advanced system generation supplement, or something of the sort.

For myself, I have several world generation scripts up of GitHub, have released StarBase as a downloadable app and I'm working on a world/sector generation and editing app for the iPad. I'd definitely be interested in automating your system, with your permission and appropriate attribution of course.

Simon Hibbs