SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous 169 70 71 72 73 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:42 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
Hehehe I just imagined a Babylon 5 RPG in which the Referee is called "Kosh"! :-D

Player: Should I press the red button or the green on the alien device?

"Kosh": Yes.

Also works with rotating Referees: "We are All Kosh".

Kosh is an impartial Referee interested in character development ("Who are you?") while Mr. Morden is a Monty Haul Killer DM ("What do you Want?" then involves you in a Shadow conspiracy).

I LOLed. :D

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:17 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
Sir Chaos wrote:
Traveller wrote:
Finished up "porting" FASA Star Trek to use the Cepheus Engine. The name of the game is "Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant", and if you want, you can get it here. Feedback on the rules themselves are welcome. Just don't nail me for the jaggies in some of the images, as I didn't think anyone would want to download the 200MB version. Oh, and I don't recommend trying to print it out, as it is not printer friendly at all due to all the full color images.

Awesome work.

And calling the Referee "Q" is a touch of genius. :ugeek:

Hehehe I just imagined a Babylon 5 RPG in which the Referee is called "Kosh"! :-D

Player: Should I press the red button or the green on the alien device?

"Kosh": Yes.

Also works with rotating Referees: "We are All Kosh".

Kosh is an impartial Referee interested in character development ("Who are you?") while Mr. Morden is a Monty Haul Killer DM ("What do you Want?" then involves you in a Shadow conspiracy).

:lol:

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm 

Finished plotting all stars within 50 LY, just shy of 800! Started work on linking the arms. The "American" arm is the easiest to start with, as the other two have some potentially overlapping territory.

Hard to see detail at this scale, but I decided that any star within K2 and F8 of a decent age could be a habitable world candidate, and drew strong lines from Earth to those systems. Anything else is a secondary dotted-line path. You can kind of see that in the cluster around 61 Cygni and up by Gliese 660. If you're more open minded about red dwarfs hosting garden worlds, then you'd have to revise the lines a bit.

Stars are color coded based on an article I found about the actual color of stars. The dark red is for brown dwarfs.

The arm ends at Upsilon Andromedae, which looks like it might be just old enough to host a pre-garden world. If you're cool with a 165 LY journey that is. 28 segments, probably a 1-day stop at each to discharge. Hitch a ride on an Anjou and it would probably take more than 7 months! If I were going to create my own home-brew 2300 alternative, I'd probably say anything past Sigma Draconis is unexplored, and leave those stars for intrepid characters to investigate.

This map can't get to Zeta Herculis like EDG's map does, because a connecting star on his map is farther away than 50 LY! I ran into a couple spots on the map where that happens.

And of course I'm curious to see if Gaia has found any new stars that might bridge some gaps and create new fingers.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 am 

I'm settling into life is Brisbane nicely. The only worry now is with immigration services, but that's not a big worry considering my wife and I have been married for over 5 years and the US Immigration had no issues with us when she was in the states. My pension payments have started and I'm joining a fencing club that has a very high level of competition yet are friendly ( several national team members and a couple of olympians even ). The last part needed for my computer has arrived, so soon I'll have a quad opteron, 48-core monster to play with. In the meantime, I'm using a macbook pro that my mom-in-law has effectively given me ( she's head science dept. liason for QUT ). I still haven't crashed the car while driving on the wrong side of the road. Things are looking good.

I'm also back to tinkering with Trav/Sci-fi games after a very brief hiatus. My projects never really die, they just go to sleep for a bit.
Right now, I'm focused a bit on world-building. I figure all the system level stuff is pretty well hashed out by many people, so its just take your pick there ( although I'm using my own for habitable worlds as posted in the past ), so I'm trying to work out stuff for population and culture and things related to those. Keeping it simple , yet somewhere in the right ballpark is good enough for me these days; none of the ridiculous 'look how smart I'm trying to be' faffing about anymore... just blocking out the model and using placeholders until I get around to adding detail that looks plausible, even if its actually not.

Fun stuff now......

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:58 pm 

Finished my first ever Kickstarter today (for the BLUEHOLME™ Journeymanne Rules), and it seems to have gone pretty well. Of course, I won't know for a couple of weeks until the money is actually in the bank. Then it's off to the drawing boards for those artists! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:20 pm 
Administrator

I suppose it counts as a hobby now, but I am streaming computer games on Twitch! Tuesdays 6-8pm PST I stream Elite Dangerous (I made it to the distant outpost of Colonia, 22,000 ly from Sol - now heading towards The Great Annihilator, which is a big black hole near the galactic core!) and on Saturdays 10am-12pm PST I'm streaming other games - this week it'll be the spooky story game What Remains of Edith Finch.

If you want to watch live, head over to https://www.twitch.tv/evildrganymede at the appropriate time! The videos also go up later on my youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRax-yrsstEG_kQDK8X57aw (please do give the videos a look and a like, and subscribe to the channel! I'm trying to get up to 100 subscribers so I can get a more legible custom channel URL :) ). And you can follow me on Twitter for updates!

Attachment:
05_359320_20170429174807_1_sml.png
05_359320_20170429174807_1_sml.png [ 327.73 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

I'm also going to be editing and posting some videos of the fantastically beautiful Everybody's Gone To The Rapture at some point over the coming weeks. I've got it all recorded, just have to hack it up for easier consumption :). Here's a sample of how it looks:

Attachment:
417880_20170502011130_1_sml.png
417880_20170502011130_1_sml.png [ 444.44 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 am 

Finally got all the parts to put together my computer system, a HP Proliant quad opteron server off ebay. Just found out that although documentation says it is SAS and SATA compatible, only HP branded drives will work in it. HP takes OEM drives and piggy-backs some code in their firmware to send out temperature info. Non-HP drives don't do this or else do it differently. As a result, the server views non-HP drives as in an overheating condition and all the cooling fans run full blast making the machine sound like a jet engine* before it eventually shuts down to 'protect' against damage.

HP doesn't say non HP drives won't work. They just say ( buried elsewhere ) that they won't guarantee that the machine will work if you use non-HP parts. So now I have 2 useless 1TB 2.5" drives and have to buy 2 more at a higher price if I want my computer to work. Until then, I'm stuck using a borrowed macbook.

Relating this experience to a sci-fi game.....
Think about the various discussions concerning equipment interoperability and standards in a high tech universe.... of course different corporations won't maintain 100% standards compliance if it might cost them some profit or allow its customer base to purchase elsewhere.

* My wife thinks a computer that sounds like a 767 on take-off is quite funny.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:12 am 

We now have The Space Patrol in hardcopy format!

Also, These Stars Are Ours! got its own forum on CotI.

Hoping to complete the 50 Wonders (high-tech book for TSAO and CE) full draft today as well.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 pm 

I have been working, very mildly, on porting Greyhawk stuff for the Savage Worlds system.

Most of the work has been done already; most of what I have to do is find it and prepare to use it for my two games of it.
I'm running a second-and-fourth Tuesday game and a once-a-month-on-Wednesdays game. The Tuesday game is Temple of Elemental Eeeeeeevil, while the other one will either deal with Rary The Traitor or fight Against The Slavelords.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:21 am 

Yesterday I revised my Classic Traveller Quick-and-Dirty Vehicle Combat rules. Today I am tinkering with the Cepheus Engine Psionics and combat rules. Soon I will be back to the Terran Borderlands sourcebook for TSAO.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous 169 70 71 72 73 Next