SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous 165 66 67 68 6974 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:52 am 

Started putting together a population growth simulation using Insightmaker.
I hope to make it work along the lines of 'world3', but tailored more to the my needs for world building.

https://insightmaker.com/
World3 and other models already exist on the site.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm 

Read a chunk of the Polaris RPG rules. But I have a terrible cold, so I'm not sure that I'll remember any of them tomorrow...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:29 pm 

Finished off my big Space Patrol sourcebook for Traveller/Cepheus. Now to get layout and artwork finished up.

This one has been floating around for several years and seen several iterations on its way to publication. Hopefully soon! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:54 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Finished off my big Space Patrol sourcebook for Traveller/Cepheus.

Great news! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:54 pm 

Downloaded my electronic copy of Wurm (stone age RPG), which I backed on Kickstarter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 pm 

Re-organized my 'way-off-the-beaten-track' google sites page in hopes of working on things again.
Most everything has been wiped clean until I start filling it up again.
Mostly just getting ready for retirement from a toxic workplace and moving the Brisbane next spring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:51 pm 
Administrator

On the D&D front, lately I've realised that I can make a detailed world to play in, no problem. But making a setting to play in, that's another matter...

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:25 pm 

Just finished creating a .docx file of the complete 1982 boxed set Worlds of Wonder for the boys at the new Chaosium, so that they can get on with the important work of turning it into a quality hardback for generations to come. Yeah, working for free, here. Whaddaya gonna do when your favourite iteration of the BRP system is just sitting there , waiting to be re-issued?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:48 pm 

Vile wrote:
Just finished creating a .docx file of the complete 1982 boxed set Worlds of Wonder for the boys at the new Chaosium, so that they can get on with the important work of turning it into a quality hardback for generations to come. Yeah, working for free, here. Whaddaya gonna do when your favourite iteration of the BRP system is just sitting there , waiting to be re-issued?

I LOVED that game. It was my introduction into D100 and I thought that all three settings they created were simple yet interesting.

I have used that starting adventure in the FantasyWorld several times as a beginning of my campaigns (or a variation of it).

VERY COOL!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:51 pm 

Been thinking about psionics and how Traveller and other RPG's never seem to adapt technology to work for psionics.

For example, if Telepathy and Telekinesis are real things, then there is some kind of brain wave that can be detected, there is some kind of energy involved, which could be detected, blocked, artificially generated and stored - all using technology.

Also, if Telepathy is real, then a machine should be able to detect the same thoughts that a telepath could, and transmit them... so it should be possible to construct a device that would allow a non-telepath to communicate telepathically with a machine. The machine reads the persons thoughts and does what they say. Also, using two such devices, non-telepaths could communicate telepathically.

Given the amount of energy generated by a Psion to life a rock, that should be detectable with the technology today, or in the near future. Once we can detect it, the rest should come pretty quickly, although initially it may be a bit bulky.

Several SciFi books/series have explored this possibility in some limited ways; Anne McCaffery's Pegasus series of super-teleporters transporting cargo across the galaxy using "Gestalt Generators" to provide the necessary Psionic Points comes to mind as well as Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality series where everyone was a telepath after a few millennium...

The question is... if that is reasonably possible, then why doesn't it exist in Traveller or any other setting that allows Psionics?

The Answer - It doesn't YET... Time to get to work on a supplement for Cepheus Engine. It would totally break most settings, but create an interesting one as well.

Another question - how does society deal with Telepathy - especially if it becomes possible to give everyone telepathy artificially...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous 165 66 67 68 6974 Next