SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hello and welcome!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 am 

Hi all. Name's Andy, and I found this site because someone linked though to a T5 review I posted on my blog. I'm happy with the find - looks like a solid SF RPG community.

Bit about me: I live in Dubai, where we have a thriving, multinational RPG community: Westerners, Arabs, Indians, Philipinos, Chinese and more - some old hands, some newbies. We started a loose group las year, the Gulf Roleplaying Community; as well as putting players in touch with the dozen or so GMs we're aware of, we organise group cons 2-3 times a year, where we currently muster about 40 players and GMs.

I'm one of the old hands. Started RPGing with Holmes D&D in 1981, and bought the first (1977) version of Traveller as soon as I saw it.

Stuck with Traveller as my primary SF RPG thrugh the 80s. Loved Megatraveller. Got heavily into 2300AD when that came out. Drifted away from Trav with TNE, though I do at least have a core rulebook in print or PDF for each incarnation of Trav so far. I'm ambivalent towards Mongoose Traveller - I'd probably use it more if I didn't love Megatraveller so much (despite its errata).

While I've never been able to do as much SF RPGing as I'd like (players always seem to want fantasy, sigh), I've racked up experience with a good number of systems over the years.

Systems I've run (or played in) include: Space Opera, Aftermath (does this board count post-apocalypse as SF?), Psi World, FASA Star Trek (I sold all my books of that, and really, really regret it now), Spacemaster, Alternity, GURPS Space, Star Hero (Hero is my go-to system these days), D20 Space.

I've got an unused copy of the Last Unicorn Dune RPG on the shelf, and a little-used copy of the Battlestar Galactica RPG next to it (should have gone for Serenity RPG; difficult to think of campaigns for BSG).

I was a Traveller 5 kickstarter backer, and am working my way through it in the hopes of getting a tabletop game together and testing the thing in action.

I'm also eying up Thousand Suns, but haven't taken the plunge yet (P&P to the Middle East is rarely trivial).

Away from SF, I play or run Pathfinder/3.5, Hero System, HarnMaster, Runequest III, GURPS and more. But not all at once.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm 

Hi there, this is Matt. I live in New York, though I'm originally from the Seattle area.

I'm a big fan of SF roleplaying, and my "sweet spot" is probably somewhere in between Traveller and 2300. I like the aesthetic of the latter and the system of the former. Mongoose's 2300 reboot is getting some serious tablet time of late.

I recently -- in the last year? -- did a short game using EABA, and I got to use planet information from an old SpaceMaster module I've had since probably 1986. Cobbling together stuff from my back catalog is one of my favorite things to do.

Found this site because I'm putting together a near-star list and found http://evildrganymede.net/, and followed the links.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:24 pm 
Administrator

Welcome aboard Matt - and sorry for the delay in approving your posts, the stupid software doesn't actually tell me when there are posts awaiting approval so I have to remember to check it by hand (and I often don't).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 pm 

Welcome aboard Matt! If you like both Traveller and 2300AD, you should check out Outer Veil - a near-future, low-tech, near-Earth setting for Mongoose Traveller in the vein of Alien(s), Outland, System Shock and Firefly (I'm one of its authors). Also, Mongoose Publishing offers a 2300AD variant using Mongoose Traveller rules...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
Welcome aboard Matt! If you like both Traveller and 2300AD, you should check out Outer Veil - a near-future, low-tech, near-Earth setting for Mongoose Traveller in the vein of Alien(s), Outland, System Shock and Firefly (I'm one of its authors). Also, Mongoose Publishing offers a 2300AD variant using Mongoose Traveller rules...

Thanks! OuterVeil looks really cool, I will add it to my spend queue. I do have Mongoose's 2300 redux, and purchasing it was part of what brought me here. I think I recognize your username from the Mongoose forums, where I just lurk.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:19 pm 

Hello Matt - welcome and have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 am 

Hehehehe well the thread has been dormant for a bit so lets revive her.

I'm Danny, I live in Brisbane Australia, and I am a veteran RPG game master and board game.

I started with white box Dungeons and Dragons with the Chainmail miniatures rules when first published. At the time I was doing Napoleonic miniatures and Avalon Hill boardgames.

Empire of the Petal Throne took up a chunk of 1975,

In 1976 I got Metamorphasis Alpha and GMd that for a year. I layed out the forest deck of the ship roughly around The Hobbit with the ring being an engineering access ring. The rules were a bit bodgy.

Then 1977 came around and I was given 1st edition Traveller for my birthday. Yeeeeeeeeeehah! That saw a lot of adventures (not in the imperium, an entirely roll your own universe because the first ed. had no beckground). I quickly launched into drawing 3d sector maps and trying to plot out metropolis and starport street and building plans.

Some 2nd Ed D&D tracked in parallel, some Paranoia and then in 1981 Call of Cthulhu ate my mind and possessed me for several years thereafter.

There has been lots of RPG since including a home grown time travel game. Things slowed when my daughter was born in 1995 but things are picking up again now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:26 am 

Welcome aboard!

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:36 pm 

Hi Danny - welcome!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35 Next