SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:06 pm 

So far I've used Python 2.7.x as my go-to scripting language (Python is great for all sorts of random generators and the like - useful for Traveller). Should I emigrate to Python 3?

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 pm 
Administrator

I use Python 3 myself (3.2.2, which is a bit old now) and it works fine, but I think the online support on forums etc isn't so good because people are still sticking with 2.7 for some unknown reason.

I think the best bet is to pick a version and stick with it. If you're on 2.7, stay with that. if you want to change to 3.3 then you'll have to convert some of the commands from 2.7 to 3.3 format (e.g. keyboard input is different).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:48 am 

If I'd want to use Python in the future, won't 3 be in continued use much further than 2.7? I haven't used it for several years, so I'll have to re-learn things anyway...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:19 am 
Administrator

I honestly don't know. I would think that v3.x would be what people would ultimately move on to at some point (and maybe over the past few years more people have switched over to it?) - but I guess that there's a lot of inertia among the 2.x users.

I started off with 3 anyway, now that I'm at home it's OK because the programs I use are only going to run on my machine, but when I was working at my previous job it was a bit annoying because any program I wrote at home wouldn't necessarily work at the office because they used 2.x (and vice versa).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!