SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:12 pm 

Is there any chance I can upgrade Windows 7 32bit to 64 bit without buying a copy Windows 8 (as I have an OEM version; I also don't want to deal with Windows 8)? Or do I need to buy a new computer for this?

Computer specs attached...

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 85.44 KiB | Viewed 689 times ]

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:22 am 
Administrator

You should be able to still buy new 64bit OEMs of Windows 7 from online computer stores (e.g. around here it's places like ncix.com, presumably there's an equivalent kind of store where you are). You can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Windows 7 using Windows Anytime Upgrade though - you need to reinstall with a new 64bit version.

If you have 4GB RAM right now then with 32bit Windows you're only really seeing 3GB of that. 64bit will allow you to use more RAM if you install it. It'd also be a bit faster. But really I think for most purposes the only reason to get 64-bit is to be able to see and use over 4GB RAM.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 am 

How significant in actual practice is the difference between the 3.6 GB of RAM I'm using now to the 4GB I'll have with a 64bit installation?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:41 pm 
Administrator

Probably not much. Open your Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and go to the Performance tab. If the memory regularly gets maxed out when you're running something then you could probably do with more. If not, then you probably don't.

(e.g. I load some pretty huge images and datasets on my computer for work, and it regularly maxes out 16GB of RAM when it does that, but for every other purpose it's usually around 2.5-3GB. I could probably do with 32GB instead but that's another $400 or so...)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:21 pm 

When running Google Chrome + STEAM + Metro 2033: Last Light during a mission, it uses 2.5 GB. With Wasteland II (a newer computer game), it's 3.35 GB with Chrome running in the background with several tabs open.

So with a newer game, yes, this gets filled almost to the edge; a bit older game from 2013, not necessarily so.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 pm 
Administrator

Then maybe it's worth it for you. It's probably worth going up to 8GB, so you would be better off with 64bit.