SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:40 pm 

Can someone please confirm me if Elite Dangerous really got its offline content removed? I just read this and I got really sad about it... I just hope I'm missing something.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 pm 
Administrator

Dunno about having offline content removed, but you do have to be online to play.

Though personally I don't think it's worth getting. It's got some very frustrating gameplay elements in it, and it doesn't really feel like the old Elite.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 pm 

Well... I just found this this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-18-david-braben-responds-to-outcry-over-elite-dangerous-ditched-offline-mode

It seems there is no longer an offline mode. Too bad because the solo playing mode was the main thing keeping me excited about it; having my own private galaxy, evolving at my own pace, was just what I wanted -- Elite Dangerous has just died on me.
:(

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 pm 
Administrator

You can play solo - Solo Mode is just you and NPCs. I'm not really sure what the game needs to know from servers (possibly things like whether a system is explored and has map data available?) but you won't encounter other player ships in Solo Mode.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:16 pm 

Solo Mode?! I wasn't aware of that! That changes everything! :D
Thanks a BUNCH EDG!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:51 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, there's three gameplay options: Solo (just you and the NPCs), Group (just you and people in the group you're in from your online friends, and NPCs), and Open Play (you and every other player, and NPCs).

I don't know how saves work (I think you can switch between Solo/Group/Open, but you do that when you start the game), but you only have ONE save - though you can have multiple ships, you only have the one Commander.

"No Offline Mode" just means that you need to have an internet connection to play (regardless of whether you're in Solo/Group/Open Play).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:24 am 

Ah that's very good to hear!

You mentioned something about frustrating game play elements present in it -- I'm very curious to hear your opinion on those.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:07 pm 

It's also being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2906&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 pm 
Administrator

good point, I'll reply over on the other thread. :)