SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Growing Up
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:54 pm 

A personal note.

Growing up is a matter of learning to know yourself and set limits. When I was younger, I tried out my hand at a thousand things - writing all sorts of fan materials for various RPGs, learning to program a bit in Python, painting and gaming with tabletop miniature wargames, and even drawing. But now as I am a mature adult of 34 years of age (in May 22nd), I know that I cannot simply do it all. I need to focus and treat my projects professionally.

So now most of my hobby-related time - apart from an hour or so daily spent on computer games - goes to RPG projects, and not only that but to Traveller and White Star projects and some D&D/ACKS work. My miniatures are stowed for the time being, and I find myself less compelled to spend my time on other RPG projects which I will be unlikely to play and/or publish in the foreseeable future... I have even stowed away - for the time being - my ideas of writing a post-apocalyptic and/or cyberpunk and/or cyber-fantasy version of Swords & Wizardry: White Box, as right now I see a larger market for Traveller and White Star products, and knowing my gaming group, we won't be playing anything like this anytime soon.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

Last edited by Golan2072 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Grewing Up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:47 pm 

I did similar things when I was younger. I played everything. Now I find myself drawn to just a couple of gaming systems, with Traveller being the main one.

While other gaming systems look interesting and I may buy them, even as I read them, I am thinking about how this could work in Traveller...

Post subject: Re: Growing Up
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am 

This goes the same to me... I do buy and read a good deal of RPG material, as reading the work of other game designers is very useful when writing my own work - I think of it as "research" of sorts.

But right now I actively engage with the following:
- Classic Traveller - fan material, playing from time to time
- Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition - professional commercial writing, playing from time to time
- D&D 5E - playing regularly - it's the easiest game to find players and Referees for in Israel
- ACKS - both fan material and commercial freelance work (Autarch are great people to work with)
- White Star - professional commercial writing
- Stars Without Number - translating this to Hebrew pro-bono for the local RPG community NGO

The rest - I don't do anything about but read them. I used to play Shadowrun a lot when I was younger, now I have little patience for its highly complex rules and the setting, cool as it is, is less appealing to me right now.

Wargaming - I have a good number of 15mm miniatures and some 28mm ones as well - is something I have not done in years. 90% of the local wargaming community in Israel plays Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K. Both have wonderfully beautiful miniatures which are monstrously expensive, and I can't stand the WHF and WH40K rules which are outdated (IGOUGO turn sequence) and overly complicated. I might have gotten into Infinity which has smaller armies, is much less expensive, and has far better rules, but I don't have the time or energy to invest in it at this period in my life.

If and when I'll get a tabletop (not just online) Traveller campaign going, I'll probably use 15mm miniatures, most of teh ones useful for Visions of Empire and Hard Space I already have in my collection. But until them - they sit in their cases.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King