SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:50 pm 
Administrator

There's a bunch of sci-fi and science-based board games around - Eclipse, Race for the Galaxy, Core Worlds, High Frontier, Evolution, Leaving Earth, Star Realms, etc...

Anyone played them? (I have, but I'm just trying to get a discussion going here ;) )

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:34 pm 

In 1996 the board game "Settlers of Catan" won the Origins Award for the "Best Fantasy or Science Fiction Board Game", and there is a true science fiction version of it, named "Sternenfahrer von Catan" (= "Starfarers of Catan"; I do not know whether there is an English version of it): http://www.catan.de/spiel/die-sternenfahrer-von-catan
While this was my favourite science fiction board game, I also used to play "Merchants of Venus" (Avalon Hill) and "2038 - Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt" (Tim Jim Games), and I seem to remember a board game named "Outpost".

Edit.:
And of course there also was "Bloodtree Rebellion" (GDW), which I never played as a board game, but used as the background of a Traveller campaign.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:02 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, I remember Starfarers... I think it's out of print now. There is a Star Trek Catan too. Merchant of Venus I think is still around though, republished by FFG ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131 ... nd-edition ).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:29 pm 

I played "Cosmic Encounter" a couple of times in the early Eighties.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:05 pm 
Administrator

Agemegos wrote:
I played "Cosmic Encounter" a couple of times in the early Eighties.

That's still around too (again, published by FFG) - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/394 ... -encounter

Apparently the game has had quite the history.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:35 am 

Didn't the publishers of Traveller produce a boardgame dealing with the war between Earth and the Imperium?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:04 pm 

I've played Merchants of Venus and Race for the Galaxy.

I didn't really enjoy them but I'm not too much of a board gamer.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:32 pm 

I used to play GDW's Belter quite a bit when I could find opponents, Fifth Frontier War once or twice (very long), Avalon Hill's Starship Troopers, Metagaming's Ogre/GEV a few times, Melee/Wizard fairly frequently. I still bring out Warp War from time to time, since it's quick to learn and to play.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:36 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
Didn't the publishers of Traveller produce a boardgame dealing with the war between Earth and the Imperium?

Yes, the game was named "Imperium" and was published 1977 by GDW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperium_(board_game)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:10 pm 
Administrator

The ones I have are:

Race for the Galaxy - a classic deckbuilder where you have to be the first to build your empire

Core Worlds - another very neat deckbuilder-type game where you're pirates rampaging through a galaxy conquering planets and acquiring tech and ships to capture the Core Worlds in the centre of the galaxy. Very thinky!

Android: Netrunner - an asymmetric cyberpunk-themed magic-like card game where a Runner tries to steal the secret agendas of a Corp. The setting is amazingly good, and the game is great too.

Star Realms - another deckbuilder game where you're just trying to flat out destroy the other player. There's really good art on the cards!

High Frontier - a super-heavy, very realistic solar system exploration/colonisation simulator. Unfortunately it's almost too heavy to play, and it's more like a simulation than a game (very random!).

BIOS: Megafauna - another super-heavy, realistic game (by the same guy who did High Frontier) about evolving species through the Mesozoic and Tertiary eras, while trying not to die because of environmental change, competition, or other catastrophes. Dominant Species (which I also have) is a similar theme but is way more playable.

Leaving Earth - Like High Frontier but a lot simpler and more playable, this is set during the space race between the 1950s and 1970s (the style of the game is right out of the 1960s too, but it looks very cool)

X-Wing - lots of Star Wars miniatures flying around going pew pew pew at eachother :). It's a bit on the random side but it's quite fun to play! (there are several other Star Wars games out there - e.g. Rebellion, Imperial Assault, and Star Wars Armada)

Battlestar Galactica - the ultimate traitor game, IMO. One or more players is a cylon, trying to sabotage the other human players in their attempt to get to Kobol (or Earth, depending on what expansions you have). It's soooo good, but it takes a long time to play!

Eclipse - a 4x space boardgame. It's pretty good but can also take a while to play, has a ridiculously long set up time (so many pieces!), and suffers a bit from being a Euro game with conflict.

Compounded - you're chemists in a lab, making chemicals! But watch out for the ones that may explode in your face! Pretty neat theme, though the game itself is a bit basic.

Evolution - a much easier game about evolution than BIOS:Megafauna, where you evolve creatures with different traits to try to eat the most food (or eachother).