SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:21 pm 

I have Race For the Galaxy but haven't played it for ages.

I have Star Realms and play it a lot - one of my currently favorites. I can also waste hours of my life playing the online version! :-)

Other science fiction games I own: Contagion, Andromeda. On a cursory glance, most of my boardgames seem to have a historic theme rather than a science fiction one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:28 pm 

I need to open by box of board games again someday...

I know I have:

Stellar Conquest
Azhanti High Lightning
2038 (an interstellar trading game based on the 18xx railway games)
The Company War
Delta Vee

In the past I know have owned
Starfire
Snapshot!
Starship Captain
Last Starfighter
Starprobe
I'm pretty sure GEV (but I don't think I ever owned Ogre)
Warp War
Asteroid
Grav Armor
Vector 3
Knight Hawks
Helltank
Trailblazer
Diadem

I may have owned
Mayday

Now games that I have some experience with and could intelligently talk about...

Stellar Conquest
Starfire
2038 (a little bit)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, scifi isn't that strongly represented in modern boardgaming unfortunately - mostly it seems to be either 20th century wargaming, or european colonialism, or farming :).

Boardgaming is really my primary hobby now (I haven't even cracked open an RPG book for a couple of years), so if anyone has any questions about any of the games around today - whether scifi or not - then let me know! There are a lot of really good games around today that are worth getting into.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:36 pm 

I have played X Wing and Battletech a few times. I didn't come close to winning but I had fun.

So there are sci-fi board games but they're more minis games (still a board game IMO).

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:30 pm 

Jame Rowe wrote:
I have played X Wing and Battletech a few times. I didn't come close to winning but I had fun.

So there are sci-fi board games but they're more minis games (still a board game IMO).

Oh, I forgot Silent Death...

When using Board Game Geek to look at games published between 1965 and 1985 to see what I might have owned, I did skip a couple games that had paper counters but were played on a table top using rulers to measure distances since that I consider a miniatures game, but Silent Death, while (usually) played with miniatures, is fixed to a hex grid and thus I consider a board game with really fancy playing pieces (Monopoly is definitely a board game, not a miniatures game, despite the fancy playing pieces...).

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:35 pm 
Administrator

Jame Rowe wrote:

I think they count :). X-Wing is pretty fun, though I find it a bit whiffy. As in it seems that you're more likely to miss a target than hit them (and even if you hit them you may not do any significant damage). Though it could be that we're not min-maxing the cards and abilities enough to mitigate that. I really should play X-Wing more given that I have a ton of the minis for it (some of which I haven't even used yet).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 pm 

Admittedly, I used to play a TON of sci-fi wargames and boardgames.

I still play games like battletech. I just play them online these days - my friends have spread out over the globe or simply have been seized by the inevitable pressures that make face-to-face meetings very difficult. So I spend more time with them online, so naturally we play boardgames online using like btech's online client and so on - it's the wargame, not the first-person games.

(I should add, another advantage is that games with lots of book-keeping or rules are immensely easier when the computer handles all the book-keeping and instantly makes rulings on the ambiguous rules).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:13 pm 

epicenter wrote:
Admittedly, I used to play a TON of sci-fi wargames and boardgames.

I still play games like battletech. I just play them online these days - my friends have spread out over the globe or simply have been seized by the inevitable pressures that make face-to-face meetings very difficult. So I spend more time with them online, so naturally we play boardgames online using like btech's online client and so on - it's the wargame, not the first-person games.

(I should add, another advantage is that games with lots of book-keeping or rules are immensely easier when the computer handles all the book-keeping and instantly makes rulings on the ambiguous rules).

Since you mention BattleTech, I assume you´re aware of the MegaMek family of programs?

https://github.com/MegaMek

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:34 pm 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Since you mention BattleTech, I assume you´re aware of the MegaMek family of programs?

https://github.com/MegaMek

Yeah, it's what we play btech using.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:35 am 

Anybody else with Battlefleet Mars ? It has planets actually moving during the game, so distances between planets change all the time.

Otherwise I loved Stellar Conquest and we even made some homemade expansions for it.

Fifth Frontier War. Imperium, both the original and new one. Dark Nebula. Merchants of Venus. Triplanetray (vector movement !). Freedom of the Galaxy.