SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm 

When I posted this initially, there were about 5,000 confirmed cases in New York. As of now, there are more than 30,000. And the overwhelming majority of those are within about 15 km of where I live. The city is a ghost town, and I only go out to walk the dog or get groceries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 pm 
Administrator

The US has now overtaken China as the most number of confirmed cases in the world (83144 vs 81285 according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, 82404 vs 81782 according to https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html ). Italy is still just below China but will overtake very soon.

(I figured US would overtake China by Friday... another 15k-20k tomorrow should put it on track to hit 100k by Saturday, if not before. Not good).

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:23 pm 

Remember how in the disaster movies nobody ever listens to the scientists who predict exactly what ends up happening?

Turns out Hollywood is a lot more realistic in its movie plots than we gave them credit for.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm 
Administrator

Well they do base it on reality - look how politicians have ignored climate scientists for years :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:34 pm 

Public service announcement:

Attachments:
corona force choke.jpg
corona force choke.jpg [ 71.03 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm 
Administrator

And the US is now over 100k (at least according to the worldometers site. Johns Hopkins still has it at 97k but I'm sure it'll break the 100k mark today there too). (EDIT: Yep, Johns Hopkins has US at 101k as of 15:40 Pacific Time).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I thought it'd get there by tonight at least. The US really has to get its act together and do full lockdowns - if not then by Good Friday (14 days from now) they'll have well over a million cases!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:28 pm 

The rate of new diagnoses in Australia seems to be falling (even as the rate of testing is increasing), which would be as a result of measures taken a week ago. We have about three thousand people tested positive and thirteen dead. Most of our cases were infected overseas (the plurality in the USA) or on cruise ships; community transmission has occurred but is still too uncertain to estimate a trend.

The government is moving now on all the things that I have been squeaking about for the past couple of weeks, except for training idle and unemployed hospitality-industry workers as emergency staff for hospitals. An actual quarantine on international arrivals begins tonight.

Eleven days ago I was projecting ~96,000 critically ill during the second half of May, and since we have nothing like so many ventilators or ICU beds, nor the corresponding physicians and nurses, nor supplies of medical oxygen that actually meant a huge number of preventable deaths. Now it seems there is a reasonable hope of our peak being lower and later, so that we have more time to provide a smaller requirement for extra capacity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:06 am 

I've been teaching from home since early February, apart from a couple of days when the HK government got complacent and thought it was all over, only for the number of cases to shoot up due to people returning from overseas. I actually like it as I'm an introvert at the best of times and at this particular time keeping quite about my plans to head back to the UK when my current contract expires in September. I mostly worry about my wife who still goes to work (she's a lawyer and there is no provision for secure remote working at her practice). I generally feel relatively safe here because everyone wears masks, so not much chance of them spraying you with droplets.

A lot of my teaching (BA (Hons) in Landscape Architecture) involves one-on-one or small-group tutorials, so doing it over MS Teams is working well - the students actually seem more attentive and responsive than in the studio. Online meetings snoozefests are great because you just log in, keep half an ear on what the bigwigs are saying (because we're only there to make up the numbers), and get on with some real work. My productivity has shot up due to the lack of interruptions from people wandering into my office to talk about nothing, to the point that I'm spending half the day on games stuff. :mrgreen:

I hope the panic-buying elsewhere eases off - we've had bouts of it over here, but once everyone's tiny flat was stuffed full of toilet roll and bags of rice the supermarket shelves filled up pretty quickly. Actually, toilet paper is taking up two isles in my local now, with some pretty good offers. ;)

Government's just instituted bans on gatherings of more than 4 people, but that's pretty pointless unless they shut down public transport and non-essential employers. So I work from home and worry about the missus. :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 am 
Administrator

Hey, long time no see, Vile! Glad you're well :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 pm 

Got a new computer a while back and just back on this forum Sorry gang - I LOVE hanging out here.

I am fine - we have about 200 cases here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) area, mostly in a few clusters.

I had some foot surgery scheduled, so I was already planning on being at home for March and April - just didn't realize I was such a trendsetter.

My biggest issue right now is that I am NOT mobile (non-weight bearing for at least 2 more weeks, then a boot for 6 weeks) - so I can't really go for walks, etc. So I really feel like a shut in.

My wife works from home, but is second level Help Desk support for several hospital systems. She has been working 7-days a week for 3 weeks now, with 10-12 hour days, every day... She is getting burned out, I am getting lazy...