SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: General Fanzine Section
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 am 

Could the FANZINES forum have another section for fanzines other than Stellar Reaches, so that all the fanzine-related discussion can be kept in one place? In fact, it may be time to make the whole forum a general one, as it sadly looks like Stellar Reaches is not going anywhere much these days. However, there are quite a few others out there, including out-of-print ones which are archived online.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:10 pm 
Administrator

Hm, possibly. Is SR definitely dead now, or just on hiatus? Has anyone seen or heard anything from Flynn?

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:45 pm 

EDG wrote:
Hm, possibly. Is SR definitely dead now, or just on hiatus? Has anyone seen or heard anything from Flynn?

Flynn appears alive and well; as far as I can tell, he's busy working on his D20/D&D variant.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:47 am 

In fact, how about going the whole hog and changing the section to a FANZONE for all kinds of free fan-produced stuff like websites, fanzines and PDFs?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:15 am 

Stellar Reaches does sort of seem to be ambling along, still, but I think it would still be nice to just have a general forum for fanzines and then each one can have its own thread.

Post subject: Other Fanzine Section
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:49 am 

I still think we need another section (or two) in the Fanzine board. There is definitely a need for "Other Fanzines" because there is quite a lot of stuff out there these days. Maybe, given the Traveller slant to a lot of our posts, a separate "Other Traveller Fanzines" section might be an idea.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:12 am 
Administrator

Vile wrote:
I still think we need another section (or two) in the Fanzine board. There is definitely a need for "Other Fanzines" because there is quite a lot of stuff out there these days. Maybe, given the Traveller slant to a lot of our posts, a separate "Other Traveller Fanzines" section might be an idea.

Are there any with significant readership though? (old fanzines don't count, the Fanzines board is intended only for actively maintained and currently released ones). It's not as if the Fanzines board gets any traffic nowadays anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:27 am 

Well, its not as if there's any way to count readership - but everyone likes to download them, even if they never get around to reading them ... :P

The fanzine board at the moment is dedicated entirely to Stellar Reaches (which coincidentally has slowed down considerably almost as soon as the board was formed), so traffic is bound to be low. I still think it would be better to just rename the whole board as a general fanzine board, and let every fanzine have its own thread (and only one, so the SR threads would have to merge). That way it's much easier to check up on the latest thing for each fanzine.

And I do think it would also be the place for threads about the old fanzines - doesn't matter when they were published, they are still "new" to many of us (I've never seen most of these in print, so they's all new to me).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:58 am 

It would make for example the posts about Freelance Traveller easier to find,
they are currently somewhat hidden in the General Discussion forum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:16 pm 
Administrator

OK, I've generalised the Fanzines board now - it's not just for Stellar Reaches anymore, but for all Traveller fanzines. I've moved the Signal GK thread down there, and moved all the Freelance Traveller threads there too (note to FreeTrav - please post any FT related annoucements on the Traveller Fanzines board from now on!). I've reorganised things in there and merged some topics to make it tidier too.