SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:27 pm 

Starting this week, I have noticed that I continually get warnings from MacAfee about this site being "potentially unreliable". It still lets me connect, but I have to manually tell it that I will proceed "at my own risk" every time I change pages.

Did you all suddenly become "unreliable?"

Personally, I think we were all a bit dodgie to start with but now MacAfee seems to agree...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:41 pm 
Administrator

Is it saying anything more specific? AFAIK nothing weird has happened this week.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:48 pm 

Here is what I get (over and over):

Be Careful
The website you're going to looks like it might not be safe. You should know that hackers often use "uncategorized" sites like these to steal information, or infect computers with viruses.

Website Address:http://www.sfrpg-discussion.net/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=25&t=1337
How would you like to handle this?

Back to a safe website Continue at your own risk
Recommended Not recommended

(of course it has pretty colors that don't copy over this way).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:16 pm 
Administrator

Sounds like mcAfee is being unnecessarily paranoid. I think that how a site is categorised is something you set yourself in Mcafee? (See https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4825 )

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Did you all suddenly become "unreliable?"

No, but McAfee itself is unreliable. Just like Norton, I won't let it anywhere near my system. Thus, I'd encourage you to change your antivirus program. Avast or AVG are good choices.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:27 am 
Administrator

I use NOD32 (http://www.eset.com ) - it's *really* good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 am 

Ever since Microsoft brought out Security Essentials It's become my third favourite anti malware system because it behave like part of the OS, not a selfish rootkit that doesn't like to share the system with other rootkits. My favourite anti malware systems are iOS And OSX, but I still use windows for some things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 pm 

Well, this is my work computer and I have no control over the security software. Rumor is we are going from laptops to tablets, so this may all go away soon.

I am sure the reason I have problems is on my side, it just seems funny that this is the only RPG site that I visit on my work computer having this problem. Usually, it just blocks the site completely or lets me in without problems.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:30 pm 

I really have to agree with Traveller. Well, since that's your work computer I don't think there is much you can do about it. But for personal usage I strongly encourage people to use AVAST. I've used nearly a dozen of antivirus and AVAST is the one I enjoy most. The last time I caught a virus must have been like 12 years ago when I was using Norton, though Norton did warn me about that suspicious file but I still wanted to run it, so I guess even this last time was entirely my fault.

Just a side note, people keep saying how secure other (non-mobile) OS are, mainly Apple's OS but in reality they just fail to acknowledge that Windows is just the most popular OS in the world, making it the ideal candidate for virus and exploits. There is no point programming viruses for systems that are only used by a fraction of people world wide. Most security flaws are actually located within third party software and not in the OS itself, take Flash and Java as an example, how many times security flaws have been reported within these two?

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:31 am 

Traveller wrote:
No, but McAfee itself is unreliable. Just like Norton, I won't let it anywhere near my system. Thus, I'd encourage you to change your antivirus program. Avast or AVG are good choices.

I'll second that vote for Avast. Worked like a champ when I was running XP.