SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:42 pm 

Ugh. Please don't make me go to Facebook. :evil: I'm not on it, and after hearing about all the day-to-day crap that my wife puts up with AND the fact that Facebook mines all your activity and sells the data, I certainly don't want to go there. Sometimes I have to go there to find info about bands, people, organizations and I have the damnedest time finding what I need to know. Poor organization for most of them.

I'm not saying Google+ is any better; they mine your data too. I'm on it, but don't participate in any communities. I'm not a fan of the interface. The redeeming factor is that all the annoying people in my life aren't on there; they're on Facebook. :)

I love the searchable aspect of this board. Rather than re-post a question, I can search through it and find the answers I need without bugging anyone. And I like the way the site is organized with all the categories. I can ignore the categories I'm not interested in, and it's easy to tell when something new has been posted in the areas I like.

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Social media, to me, is just all shiny and about being social for the sake of social. :roll: Here, there's a place to be social, but it takes a back seat to conversation about topics we want to know. I can geek out. :geek: :mrgreen:

If you shut this site down, I'll probably check out where you go, but if it isn't as utilitarian as this place, I'll probably retreat further into hermitage. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:50 pm 
Administrator

How do you think we can get more discussion (or more visitors) here? I'd imagine the issue with advertising it on social media is that people probably want to stay on the social media and not come to a separate board. And other boards usually don't like people telling their users to try another board (some don't even like them mentioning other boards).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:16 am 

Honestly, I don't know how to get more discussion or visitors here. I run the Yahoo TNE group/mailing list, and it's probably more dead than this place.

In the past, I've thrown out topics for people to chew on and held a design contest or two. Neither of those things seem really appropriate here. The only thing that was a surefire way of boosting discussion was when Dave Nilsen crawled out of his burrow and chimed in on a few posts.

I've been under the impression for years, decades really, that tabletop RPGs were a dying form of entertainment. I recognize that I was wrong, because I've seen so many new games over the last few years. Somebody has to be playing them. So then I figured that it was only certain games (Traveller) that were dying, kept alive (mostly) by the faithful players of our generation. I know this site is open to multiple sci-fi RPGs, but Traveller was the inspiration for it. Am I wrong? Is Traveller growing its ranks? Has Mongoose succeeded in revitalizing the game? Or are the sales just going to the existing fan base?

I admit that I'm out of touch. I gave up after Avenger's license was revoked.

If there are indeed so many new fans of the game, then yeah, it makes sense to go where they are. They're the future, certainly not me. As for using social media to draw people elsewhere, there's nothing they can really do about that. I'm on an indie book review blog, and I use Google+ to draw them over to it all the time.

If you can make one of those social media sites be as useful as this place, then go for it. I don't know that you can. I certainly haven't seen it (yet). But if you can't, use social media to draw people here. You could say something like, "the big topic of the week is a debate over what life might be like on tide-locked worlds" or something to that effect. Then you provide a link to the topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 pm 

Having spent awhile on the Classic Traveller community on Google+, I have to say that I see the same problem there that I see on blogs: Once a new (or maybe a few new) items are posted, discussion on previous topics seems to dry up. On a message board, subjects rise to the top of the list when someone new comments on them. Also, message boards keep better track of what you have read already.

The result in my opinion is that message boards allow for longer discussions than social media.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:53 pm 

So what SFRPGs do people WANT to discuss other than Traveller (and it's 3rd Party compatibles)?

That becomes the issue that I have trouble with.
I am a gearhead, so I like to talk about stuff and rules to create stuff. (most people don't)
I really like Classic Traveller ... especially the Traveller of LBB1-3 or the Starter Rules or the Traveller Book. Without all of weight of the Third Imperium crushing the infinite possibilities for a small band of heroes.

Mongoose Traveller is good, but I learned RPGs on the original Basic D&D, then bought the AD&D 1 ed rules, then bought the AD&D 2ed rules ... about the time the D&D 3ed rules came out, I just could not bring myself to buy all the same stupid books again.
So can you imagine how underwhelmed I am at the thought of replacing the MgT 1ed (reheated Classic Traveller) with a MgT 2ed. I really just don't see it happening. I cannot imagine that they have invented any game mechanic so wonderful that it is worth repurchasing all the same old rules AGAIN.
Sorry for the rant. I couldn't really let it out at COTI (it would be inappropriate for a moderator) or say it at the Mongoose Board (it would just be tasteless) ... but I needed to vent somewhere and as a consumer, I am entitled to my opinion.
Now that I have that out of my system ...

What DO you want to talk about?
The best way to battle a lack of discussion is to start and join discussions.
Anyone who knows me knows that I love to talk about all sorts of things.
I am just not sure what your niche is here at SFRPG.
So, What do you want to talk about?

PS. Social Media generates floods of sound-bites but little of substance. Short messages and brief, throw away conversations drive that dynamic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:09 pm 

atpollard wrote:
So what SFRPGs do people WANT to discuss other than Traveller (and it's 3rd Party compatibles)?

Science. These boards are my go-to place to ask serious scientific questions related to science fiction role playing games. We have several experts here, after all...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:29 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
atpollard wrote:

Science. These boards are my go-to place to ask serious scientific questions related to science fiction role playing games. We have several experts here, after all...

As a primary focus, that will make it a low traffic resource almost by definition.
(Which is not a bad thing, it just means that we can't be too surprised at a low volume of expert scientific science fiction role playing discussion.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
atpollard wrote:

That is definitely one of the appeals to me. I don't participate much in those discussions, but I love to read the posts. It serves as a nice collection of interesting astronomy news with a willingness to discuss the implications for SFRPGs.

I also appreciate the environment here without the weight of the 3I setting that seems to dominate discussion over on the COTI boards.

Lately I HAVE been chatting over on Google+ because that's where the "back to the basics 3 LBB" seems to be hanging out when they aren't trying to be heard over the din at COTI, but I'd love that discussion to happen more here (I suppose I should post some of my stuff here too...).

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm 

Another vote for the science! And the discussions that have touched on economics, social sciences, etc in world-building. I love it that people here THINK about such things, rather than just hand wave a world/setting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:42 am 
Administrator

Maybe I should just rename it to worldbuilding-discussion.net ;)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!