SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:23 am 
Administrator

Yep, GGs are generated first, then they're migrated in, then rocky planets are formed in between where they end up, then worlds are tossed out due to gravitational interactions.

From the last batch I generated, it looks like about 38% of systems don't have gas giants (mostly M Vs). Half of those don't actually have any planets at all though.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 pm 

EDG wrote:
Oh when I was doing my PhD my supervisor would regale me with tales of having these huge stacks of punch cards that you needed, and woe betide you if you dropped them and got the order mixed up...!

Been there, done that.
Quote:
Fortunately the tech's come a long way since then, and all I need to do is write a program in a text editor :). And Fortran - despite the ridicule it gets from my C and Java programmer friends - has the advantage of just plain working without having to faff around with cruft like memory management... I think that's why it's the language of choice for science and engineering - it's damn good at numbercrunching (which this program has a lot of), it's easy to learn, and it lets you do what you want to do.

Tell me what you want and I can get a java stack to do magic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:51 pm 

(I'm not sure if this should have a new thread)

Let's talk ice giants, small gas giants and Sudarsky's classifications!

Are all small gas giants likely to be ice giants?

If an ice giant migrates in system and starts warming, can it be classified by Sudarsky or is Sudarsky's GG classification only for Jovian/super Jovian GGs? I think it's the latter.

I think for most game purposes the delineation between small GG and ice giants isn't important but inquiring minds want to know!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:59 pm 

bump!!!

:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:28 am 
Administrator

I was going to post an answer but then I realised that I didn't actually know what the current state of thinking on this is anymore!

I think that most SGGs (whatever the value of "small" is here) are going to be ice giants. It sounds like they accrete around a rocky core rather than by just collapsing gas from the nebula (LGGs on the other hand seem to be able to either accrete a rocky core or core collapse, or maybe just the latter?) . But then of course you have weird cases of hot jupiters with most of their atmospheres blown away so now they're "small" so they could be different.

The sudarsky scale only applies to large gas giants (Jupiter/Saturn, not Uranus/Neptune), according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudarsky' ... sification

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:50 am 

I've read that the ice giants have a significantly lower amount of hydrogen and helium in their atmospheres by mass and a greater presence of carbon and other heavier elements. The article on wiki also mentions that the depths of the ice giants doesn't get to the level needed to create metallic hydrogen, my barely scientific brain makes the assumption that that would mean an ice giant was smaller than a Jovian gas giant. Next question therefore, can a small gas giant exist with 90% hydrogen/helium as Jupiter does?

I'm kinda leaning, with my poetic license in overdrive to large gas giants being 90% hydrogen helium and small gas giants 20% with all that other heavier stuff too - ice giants.

Is there any current real knowledge that says I'm wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:13 pm 

Flashback to older post in this thread: I see what almost looks like a curve here in your run of 10K systems, as far as planet sizes go. Is there a not-lengthy explanation about earth/venus-sized worlds being more common?

Size total#:
S: 781
1: 567
2: 844
3: 1060
4: 1224
5: 1401
6: 1285
7: 1208
8: 927
9: 635
A: 437
B: 219
C: 114

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:54 pm 
Administrator

I'll have to dig through the code again, but IIRC the size code was determined by a modified 2d6 roll. (can you link the exact post so I know which one you're referring to?)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:27 pm 

On the second page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=174&start=10#p1768

Any reason for the 2d6 roll instead of a 1d12 roll or really any sort of imaginary "computer" die?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:43 pm 
Administrator

Matt Wilson wrote:
Any reason for the 2d6 roll instead of a 1d12 roll or really any sort of imaginary "computer" die?

Partly out of habit, partly because it makes a bell curve and not a flat line. Plus it's replicable outside a computer interface.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14