SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:36 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
EDG wrote:
While sorting out the names for stars in the new Extended Hipparcos catalogue, I discovered that Arrakis is real! It's the arabic name for Mu Draconis, and apparently means "dancer".

(I love arabic star names :) )

The funny thing about the places named in Dune is that the Harkonnen homeworld Giedi Prime is supposed to orbit 70 Ophiuchi, and not the star actually named "Giedi" (which is Alpha Capricorni).

Supposedly Arrakis orbits Canopus in Dune. I think the idea was that after 10,000 years astronomy had atrophied with the loss of computers through the Butlerian Jihad.

P.S. I didn't realize how old the post about Arrakis was. ;)

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm 

EDG wrote:
Sol is in the centre, the +90° direction (towards the top of the screen) is Coreward, the 0° direction (towards the left) is the Spinward direction, and out of the screen is "north" out of the galactic plane.

Is that right? I thought that galactic north was defined like terrestrial north, so that the Galaxy spins anti-clockwise when you look down on it from the north. If out of the screen is northwards, and the axis of rotation is above the top of the screen, then what we see ought to be spinning clockwise about a point above the top of the screen, i.e. to the right.

Remember that Galactic co-ordinates are a left-handed frame of reference because the X co-ordinate is measured backwards, i.e. towards the core instead of out from it.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 pm 

I've had a similar (though probably less-accurate) dataset for a few years, based on a work-up of David Nash's HYG Dataset, converted to Sol-centric galactic coordinates (core in the +Y-axis), and to be honest it was nice to be able to compare the visual map to something other than 'Star Trek Star Charts'... Whilst it's an eyeball comparison, and I only map in 2D with the venerable CHView, it actually holds up pretty well...

From my perspective, mapping in galactic coords makes sense if one is looking at a larger play area for one's setting, and even more sense if one wants to use spinward, antispinward, coreward and rimward as cardinal directions...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:32 am 

Agemegos wrote:
EDG wrote:
Sol is in the centre, the +90° direction (towards the top of the screen) is Coreward, the 0° direction (towards the left) is the Spinward direction, and out of the screen is "north" out of the galactic plane.

Is that right? I thought that galactic north was defined like terrestrial north, so that the Galaxy spins anti-clockwise when you look down on it from the north.

This turns out to be wrong. Apparently the Galactic North Pole is defined as being in the Northern hemisphere of Earth's skies, and it is a negative pole of the Galaxy's rotation. That is, although Earth rotates anti-clockwise when viewed from above its north pole, the Galaxy rotates clockwise when viewed from above its north pole.

It is surprisingly hard to find a definite and authoritative statement about this.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.