SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 am 
Administrator

Swansong Biospheres: Refuges for life and novel microbial biospheres on terrestrial planets near the end of their habitable lifetimes
Swansong Biospheres II: The final signs of life on terrestrial planets near the end of their habitable lifetimes

Or... "I killed a planet, just to watch it die". ;) All about what would happen to the Earth in a few billion years as the sun gets hotter.

Layman's version - http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/5221/ ... biospheres

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 am 
Administrator

Light and Life: Exotic Photosynthesis in Binary Star Systems

By the same author as the 'Swansong' papers, looking at how photosynthesis might work on a planet with two suns (a G and M dwarf specifically).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:27 am 
Administrator

Possibly interesting and lengthy review of (Gas) Giant Planets, their interiors and compositions:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.3752

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:32 am 
Administrator

Giant Planet and Brown Dwarf formation. Apparently not all brown dwarfs have to be over 13 jupiter masses?

http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.7559

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am 

Evolution of the habitable zone of low-mass stars. Detailed stellar models and analytical relationships for different masses and chemical compositions

"Low mass" in this instance means 0.7-1.1 Msun.

The article includes a link to a Habitable Zone Calculator.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm 

Global Models of Planet Formation and Evolution

Sort of a synthetic review of all the currently known processes in planetary development. Likely to be shown wrong in some details fairly quickly, but for now collects all the maths in one place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:06 pm 
Administrator

Abiotic oxygen-dominated atmospheres on terrestrial habitable zone planets

How oxygen can build up in the atmospheres of planets that don't have life (through photolysis of water).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm 

Atmospheric dynamics of terrestrial exoplanets over a wide range of orbital and atmospheric parameters

Effects of rotation rate, surface gravity, atmospheric mass, etc., on climate. Jump to the Conclusion for a qualitative discussion of how the factors interact.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 am 
Administrator

Astrophysical Conditions for Planetary Habitability (possibly a handy review paper on the subject).

http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.8174

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 am 
Administrator

I can't find the paper to link anywhere, but this is interesting!: http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusive/ ... ry-mystery

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next