SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 11:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 am 

hiro wrote:
It comes down to, what do I want the setting to be?

It's a question well worth bearing in mind; I have to keep on top of a tendency to be more interested in planetary science than in gaming.

Now, I did have trouble when I was supporting my setting with the ForeSight star system and planet generation sequence. First it produced planetary populations that were clearly implausible given the history of my setting; players asked awkward questions about the huge number of people on Buddh Gaya. Then there were mutterings about the close orbital spacings of the planets in the profusely habitable systems Tau Ceti and Lambda Aurigae. Then a player asked my about tidal locking of Odysseus to Polyphemus in Tau Ceti. And another questioned that so many planets were plausible given the low metallicity of Tau Ceti, and that a breathable atmosphere was plausible at Xi Boötis because the system is only 2.2 billion years old….

But the GURPS Space 4th edition star system generation sequence does know more planetary science than my players do. I'm not running games for maths and science students at ANU any more.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am 

:)