SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: pop related junk
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 am 

I fooled around with some stuff, but trying to use only tech level derived from GDP per capita ( non-liner, btw ), didn't really work out. There are too many variables such as crop values, soil fertility, climate of area, etc. etc.

It looks like I'll have to think more about what tech level means first.
There is manufacturing ( no clue yet ), and commonly available ( based of GDP per capita, perhaps ). Then I'll have to think about how differing tech levels change production efficiencies. In the past, I've used a variation of tech/(tech+n) to model how advancing tech changes with efficiency of products where there is a point of diminishing returns of development, but that may be a different thing altogether.

tinkering continues

( tech advances proportional to research budget? )
(manufacturing tech proportional to population and various cultural dimensions?)
who knows?

Post subject: Re: pop related junk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 am 

I've continued to fool around with this stuff.
After looking at this page with data taken from the UN FAO and the World Bank,
https://ourworldindata.org/yields-and-l ... -use-today
I realized that I had just gotten lucky earlier, and what I had called 'habitable' land can be considered to be 'agricultural' land instead.
This agricultural land can be further broken down into 'crops' and 'livestock' ( arable land vs pastures, etc.) where the 'crops' supplies 80% of a world's caloric needs and the 'livestock' takes care of the other 20%. I figure the effective production area based on that and find physiological density from that. Earth's is a little over 400 per sq km.
In my own spreadsheet, I can set the crop area and the livestock area, even if it eliminates other parts of the 'habitable' lands, such as forests.

For tech effects, I set up a sigmoid curve starting at tech 0 ( hunter/gatherer people / sq km ) to tech 15. Advancement accelerates from a slow start and tapers off as the maximum possible is reached. Because I'm using numbers from ~tech 7.5, the efficiency will be 50%; at extreme development, twice as much food/sq km can be grown with resorting to life support tricks. I also guess that the average soil quality is .5 in a range from 0 to 1. On a map, the soil quality is directly related to available moisture, so some areas on a world will be great from agriculture, but other areas will be awful, but balancing out to a .5 soil value overall(?).

I'll figure labor required at each tech level eventually.

I've also discovered how sigmoid curves can model tech acceptance over time. interesting stuff.