SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 pm 

As the topic line says, which ones are you aware of out there and why do you like it?

SCOUTS (Classic Traveller)
WORLD TAMER'S HANDBOOK
MEGATRAVELLER'S WORLD BUILDER'S HANDBOOK
TRAVELLER 2300 AD
GURPS SPACE for 4e
GURPS TRAVELLER: FIRST IN
OTHER WORLDS (which first introduced me to Molecular Molecule weight and water vapor/oxygen issues)

Of them all, I sort of like GURPS SPACE, GURPS FIRST IN and MEGATRAVELLER'S WORLD BUILDER's HANDBOOK, but I thought I'd ask to see what people use, and why. What issues do they have with any of the systems listed (or any they'd care to name!) and what fixes they employed.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm 

I have my own system that I continue to tinker with. I LIKED the detail to Book5, but hated that they got the Astronomy wrong.

For example, why bother calculating Albedo for a world, when there are so many factors that can affect it that we don't know/roll, or that within a given value can still vary due to such small things affecting it. Change the cloud cover by 1%-2% and you get a big change in Albedo (big enough to affect temperature by several degrees) I personally, just roll a couple Dice and use a bell-curve and move on. I tried, but just couldn't justify it to myself. I use a table (Similar to GURPS Space) that tracks Hydrographics and Atmosphere codes that gives you a base number, then roll a couple of dice to vary it up or down a bit and then move on...

A couple of things I want to add, but haven't yet... (both from MindJammer)

1. Sky Color - I think this is BRILLIANT and gives a great feel for the alien worlds...

2. Vegetation Color - Again, something to set the worlds apart.

I think MindJammer went a bit too far into the detail, but I will likely do a quick table of Star Color and ATM Code and a 1D or 2D table for each.

Both are designed to help the Referee with the FEEL of the world and to help them set the mood.

I have also incorporated several items from Stars Without Number (World Traits) to help give each world a different feel - I used to call this Culture, but didn't have as much variety as SWN has - I don't like that they have a straight D100 roll, personally, I use some nested 2D6 rolls - 2D6 to get the basic Trait Type, then 2D6 for the specific trait. Gives certain traits a more likely chance of happening and others a rarer possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 pm 

Thanks for the reference with MINDJAMMER. I tend to have an aversion to anything D&D like - but if the material there is reasonably accurate or strives to be, might be worth picking up. I picked up a book titled WORLD-BUILDING: A writer's guide to constructing star systems and life-supporting planets - by Stephen L. Gillett with an eye towards trying to work with formulas that made sense and were (as of the time the book was written) accurate or reasonably so.

One has to wonder why chlorophyll is green instead of purple or pink or red or what have you. On the other hand, if it has to do with green light being reflected because it is the one frequency of energy that doesn't suit photosynthesis in a G2 V class star, then that's that. ;)

I saw the other home brew earlier in this thread area, that I may take a try to program into a VB.NET application.

For what it is worth - I had not been aware of this forum's existence until I spoke with someone who is a member, saying "I want to try to code something that includes the ability to determine if the system is stable or not." I also mentioned that for a 2D vector system of space ship manuevering, that I had found a methodology I rather liked. What set of coordinates best describes a vector? Answer: Polar. What is the one flaw with Polar Coordinates? It doesn't (to my knowledge at least!) allow for direct addition of vectors. To do that, you have to convert to rectangular coordinates, add the x's together, y's together etc etc - and when done, reconvert it back to polar coordinates.

The theory was, I could track any missile, any ship, or even any planetary body using those values. Where I came up short was how to calculate the position of a planet on any orbit with any "eccentricity" over time.

So I asked him "do you know anyone who'd know how to do that, and he said "Join the SFRPG forum, they usually have or know someone who has enough knowledge to answer questions like that".

Presto. I'm here. *teasing grin*

If I EVER get the part on being able to calculate where a planet will be in any given time span - then I will have the basics for allowing ANY GM to run ANY version of TRAVELLER (or any sci-fi game using vector movement) and be able to track the location of any thing that moves within a star system. How FANCY such an application might get would depend on the time and interest and even the desires of people who'd want to use it. But imagine if you will, having to interact over the net such that the only thing you knew was what your ship sensors tell you. Imagine being a GM and having one player in command of a Mongoose Traveller destroyer, going up against five Mongoose Traveller designed Corsairs. Sub hunter scenario or all hands at battlestations style scenario - you'd finally have a tool that would permit it to be done.

So, that's why the interest in Planetary Star system generation. Ships floating in empty space are boring. Ships trying to get to a nearby gas giant, and knowing that the planet is a moving target might be an interesting scenario to put forth for a destroyer captain trying to engage in an anti-piracy patrol.

Ah well, little things one thing at a time right? This "project" that I've had on and off, has been in motion since about 2002. I actually coded a polar to rectangular coordinate application until I got it working. I started to work on the vector addition issues and worked that through, so in theory? Just that last bit with planets in eccentric orbits defies me. I could simply cheat and use perfect circular orbits, but that seems like such a let down. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm 

One thing I read was that it is actually a bit surprising to biochemists that our plants are green, their tests show that RED is actually more efficient for our sky color and star color. Some mutation way in the past, probably related to a mass extinction, favored green over red - but both are viable with our current biology. Start adding any alien influence and you get a rainbow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:07 pm 
Administrator

I like mine because I made it to be a more realistic Traveller-style world generation system :P

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3197

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 pm 

EDG wrote:
I like mine because I made it to be a more realistic Traveller-style world generation system :P

I saw that actually, and thought to myself that it shouldn't be hard to code. Let me know if you want me to write it up in VB.NET or not. Too bad I can't show a screen shot of the GURPS SPACE work in progress. I'm using a datagrid container (think Excel spreadsheet like appearance) to list planetary data on a line by line basis. But if I did the same thing for your material, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 pm 

EDG wrote:

I saw that actually, and thought to myself that it shouldn't be hard to code. Let me know if you want me to write it up in VB.NET or not. Too bad I can't show a screen shot of the GURPS SPACE work in progress. I'm using a datagrid container (think Excel spreadsheet like appearance) to list planetary data on a line by line basis. But if I did the same thing for your material, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:53 am 

Let's see. I have used or at least read world generators in

• classic Traveller book 3
  • classic Traveller book 6
  • FGU's Space Opera
  • SPI's Universe
  • ForeSight
  • Hero Games' Star HERO
  • GURPS Space 3rd "edition"
  • GURPS Traveller First In
  • GURPS Space 4th "edition"
  • Diaspora
  • Starblazers Adventures
  • Stars Without Number
  • The Thousand Suns

About half of those make absolutely no attempt to achieve results consistent with astronomy or planetary science — credible verisimilitude is not their goal. This despite e.g. Diaspora's claim to be a "hard science-fiction" RPG.

Other interstellar-sci-fi games in, or that have passed through, my shelves don't even include a world generator, such as Pelgrane's The Gaean Reach and various Star Wars RPGs.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:25 pm 

You may find some information of interest in an old thread in which we wondered what star system generators we each owned copies of: http://www.sfrpg-discussion.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1490

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:37 am 

There's a fan-made supplement for Alternity of all things that's not too bad:

https://www.alternityrpg.net/resources/ ... smos-2.pdf