SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Embassy Ship
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:13 pm 

Dave Chase wrote:
Don't forget conference and meeting rooms.

Yep, the 50 dtons of "Halls" are in fact multipurpose rooms that can be used
as conference rooms, restaurants, ball rooms and thelike, and can be con-
verted from one purpose to another in a short time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 am 

rust wrote:
Instead of carrying the material stuff, the ship's databases carry
holograms of them, turning the Holoventure Zones into a kind of almost in-
finite exhibition.

I think that might be fine for fashion and some other applications but one thing to remember is that if you're demonstrating 40-ton dump trucks or mining machinery to frontier miners, or new threshing equipment to farmers, new catalytic cracking equipment to oil prospectors, or for that matter, new fish-herding technology to some fine people on Pharos ... or once-farmers-now-community-representative types, these men and women will know what they're doing. They'll want proof that this stuff works, not some virtual reality demonstration of how it should work. I'm sure colonists have seen plenty of stuff that should work but doesn't.

That's why I think, even if the embassy ship has to be followed by a caravan of freighters and the cost of ferrying down samples (then hauling them back up) would be a lot, they'd still bring actual examples. People like this tend to be obsessively practical and refuse to trust anything they can't touch and see working. In fact, if the rep signs up some demonstration, locals might challenge it to a test against their existing equipment.

The examples might be on a smaller scale if they reps think they can get away with it, but these reps know they'll be pitching to a tough crowd who are looking for value and endurance and tend to be penny pinching so you'd probably see a shuttle landing with a 40-ton dump truck slung underneath it. Of course, the corps aren't stupid - even if they're not actually trying to cheat the colonists (a bad idea for repeat business), they're going to do everything to stack the deck in their favor. Photogenic men and women - even in a "good-cop / bad-cop" type thing playing to frontier stereotypes. The older and careworn but still handsome miner in his (deliberately) worn work boots and vest and dinged helmet accompanied by a young, pretty, and very knowledgeable glasses-wearing female engineer. The woman would give the 'hard science' demonstrations, while the older guy would play the "hey, I'm just like you, I wouldn't work for these people if their products weren't better, let's you and I take this thing out for a little unauthorized wear-and-tear during the offhours tonight..." type schtick that would be so well done that the colonists would find themselves buying into it, even if they knew they were being pandered to a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:59 am 

Yes, I totally agree. :D

This is why the embassy ship has the 135 dtons of exhibition space and the
350 dtons of cargo hold.
For machines, vehicles, robots and thelike the holograms can deliver a pre-
sentation and demonstration of the equipment and enable the colonists to
decide whether they are interested enough to see an example of the real
thing from the cargo hold, and after that whether they want to see it in
action on their planet.

Apart from fashion, art (and plain entertainment), the holos are also useful
to show and explain new medical, technical or scientific techniques that can
not be demonstrated in real. Examples could be a new way to do some surge-
ry, a new type of domed habitat, a new method for satellite cartography of
a planet - everything that is too rare, dangerous or simply big to do or have
the real thing on the ship.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 am 

Hi,

I realize that this may be a little off topic, but some of the discussion above on the Embassy Ship concept kind of reminds me a little of this real world example (from Wikipedia).

Aircraft Carrier HMS Campania D48: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Campania_%28D48%29

"In 1951 she was the Festival of Britain's exhibition ship, touring the country's ports with a civilian crew as the Festival Ship Campania to supplement the main exhibition in London and two thousand local events.

The Festival Office's resident designer, John Holland, considered that the vessel would "not convert easily into a showboat", but with the massive demand for shipping to help rebuild Europe after the war, he and his colleagues felt lucky to have any ship at all.

Repainted white, the ship was decorated with skeleton masts and bunting. Officially named the Sea Travelling Exhibition, the exhibits were intended to reflect the main London Exhibition. Like the Festival's Land Travelling Exhibition, they were divided into three sections, the Land of Britain, Discovery and The People at Home. Between 4 May 1951 and 6 October, the ship visited Southampton, Dundee, Newcastle, Hull, Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Belfast, Birkenhead and Glasgow, staying at each port for 10-14 days."

Regards

PF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 am 

That's interesting (and not off-topic at all). I wonder, given that it was a ship, why they didn't use it to go to other ports, at least in Europe and maybe the eastern coast of the American continent? Seems like a missed opportunity, somehow. In the context of the Varun setting, there is also something relevant here - maybe the embassy ships should not be custom-designed vessels, especially given that the setting has comparatively little space traffic. It would actually make a lot of sense for obsolescent vessels to be re-fitted for this role, as the prime requisite is simply a lot of internal space. Performance and efficiency are not at all important, as travel will be very slow and a large crew (with spiffing uniforms) would actually be a bonus.

And welcome to SFRPG, PFVA63! May you draw our attention to many more such interesting snippets! I'm off to check out the links in that article now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:05 am 

Thank you very much, PFVA63, and it is not off topic at all. :D

It is nice to know that there is indeed a kind of real world example
of an embassy ship, and I will try to learn more about this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 am 

Vile wrote:
In the context of the Varun setting, there is also something relevant here - maybe the embassy ships should not be custom-designed vessels, especially given that the setting has comparatively little space traffic.

I thought about this, but I think it does not really fit in well. The
embassy ship would come from the Core Worlds, almost 2,800 par-
sec away, a region where there is a lot more space traffic than
along the frontier, and the Terran Federation would probably want
to "show off" with a shiny custom designed ship instead of a re-
built bulk freighter.

However, I will keep this in mind for other ships built or refitted
in the frontier regions, there a ship would indeed be likely to see
several very different "careers" during its lifetime, all the way
from ore freighter to travelling circus ship.

[Which reminds me of the "Barnum & Bailey in Space" idea I did
pick up somewhere - another nice unusual ship for the setting ...]