SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:18 pm 

Colin wrote:
It was often the cover for all sorts of vile stuff.

I plead plausible deniability. Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 pm 

I think this is a good idea, with a slight preference for Vile's idea of putting the animals in modules which are set down on-planet. Though if you're going to do the orbiting attraction variant, you'll need a larger ship, say 1500 or so tons.

Vile wrote:
Colin wrote:
It was often the cover for all sorts of vile stuff.

I plead plausible deniability. Image

deNIED!!! 'Fess up or sit down! :P

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 pm 

It seems I have to revive the space circus idea for my new Pandora
setting, although I am not yet sure how to fit it into the setting,
and when and where to fit it into the campaign - probably compara-
tively late, when the Pandora colony already has a sizeable popula-
tion that is big enough to make a profit for the circus possible. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 pm 
Banned

rust wrote:
It seems I have to revive the space circus idea for my new Pandora
setting, although I am not yet sure how to fit it into the setting,
and when and where to fit it into the campaign - probably compara-
tively late, when the Pandora colony already has a sizeable popula-
tion that is big enough to make a profit for the circus possible. :)

Possibly sooner.

Once some word (stolen files) gets out about the semi-intelligent aquatic creatures the circus might pay a visit to offer their entertainment services to the colony. (while actually attempting to pickup a few of these creatures for display.

OR

a (extremely) rich patron decides to throw a birthday party for his darling triplets preteen girls.
One wants to sail the ocean blue and SCUBA dive
One wants to not only see a live circus, she wants to become a performer
One wants to explore ancient sites and discover past glory of dead races that are not human.

So, this devoted father hires the circus to travel to Pandora because he has heard of the discoveries and its a new water world.

He is planning on the fact that being such a new colony he can buy what ever he wants (in favors, situations and etc) because they will be in need of cash (money) and a possible favor or someone rich like him to help them in some behind the scenes politics.
He is also planning on acquiring (taking) some of the artifacts for bragging rights in his rich circle of friends.

Being that the girls (age 14) are just coming of age and it is a frontier like world and that they are use to getting their way, life might become very interesting for the colony.

One should be boy crazy to the extreme
One should be boy interested
One should be, I don't care since my sisters are boy crazy.

One should be a trouble maker, ie one who loves pulling pranks on others and does not care about the backlash or problems it causes (daddy always bails her out)

One should be very smart (as compared to her sisters)

One should a thrill seeker to the point of possible danger but not life threatening.

Oh, BTW, unknown to the triplets, they are actually clones (illegal ones) that came about due to their father's interest in biology. He experimented on their mother (who is now dead OR seperated from him and the girls) while she was pregeant and created the triplets. Only he knows along with 1 or 2 cohorts.

The only way that the triplets can be told a part (other than PSI scanning) is by their attitudes. And they all 3 enjoy occasionally messing with people by changing their names around and acting like one of their other sisters.

So, one way to have fun with this besides the obvious is to not inform the players that there are triplets arriving. Or only introduce 1 or 2 of them at the begining so that it causes confusion when they (PC"s) get the names wrong and the girls play it up.

Also the Father is very interested in the Biology finds of Pandora and will want to acquire (or steal) the information/secerts.

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 am 

Dave Chase wrote:

a (extremely) rich patron decides to throw a birthday party for his darling triplets preteen girls ...

Thank you very much indeed, I love that one. :D

I have already been looking for a way to use the Dilettante supplement of Mongoose
Traveller for my Pandora setting, but none of my ideas seemed good or new enough
to torture the characters with it. This one with the rich father and the strange kids
is something I would definitely not have thought of, and therefore perfect to surprise
the players.

By the way, the father could also try to use his money and connections to buy one
of the islands of Pandora as a kind of summer residence, and if he has some shady
connections, too, this island could well become a serious problem for the colony.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:08 am 

Meanwhile I had some time to think about how best to fit Dave's circus plot into the
setting, and I think I will make a few modifications.

First, the very rich owner of the circus ship and "father" of the triplets used his money
to illegally create the three clones, designing them as "perfect acrobats" and the future
main attraction of his circus.

Unfortunately the Alliance Patrol found out about his illegal activities. Its intelligence
branch decided that a travelling circus would be a nice way to gather informations and
spread rumours, so he was blackmailed into working for the Ellisbrooke Foundation.

The Ellisbrooke Foundation is a private non-profit organization that supports the cultural
exchange between the Solar Alliance and the Free Colonies by arranging performances of
artists and thelike from the core worlds on the colony planets. The less official version is
that the Ellisbrooke Foundation is controlled by the Alliance Patrol's intelligence branch as
a cover for its agents' activities outside of the Solar Alliance.

When the Solar Alliance officials got the news about the alien ruins and the semi-intelligent
Kangas, they decided to send "their" circus to Pandora to investigate and, if possible, get
hold of some alien artefacts as well as some living Kangas - the attempt would not seem
strange when coming from a circus owner.

Otherwise the story would remain unchanged: The circus owner / "father" is extremely rich
and has excellent connections in very high (Solar Alliance government) and very low (Alliance
Patrol intelligence) places, and his three "daughters" are as much a problem as Dave described.

Now, all I need is a nice new circus starship ... time to look at High Guard again ... :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 am 
Banned

rust wrote:
Meanwhile I had some time to think about how best to fit Dave's circus plot into the
setting, and I think I will make a few modifications.

Why, Why, why make modifications?

Oh, to make it better. ;)

:lol:
rust wrote:
Now, all I need is a nice new circus starship ... time to look at High Guard again ... :)

Hmm, been thinking about this for a while and have been wondering.

The cost of traveling up to orbit to visit a ship would be high and take time. Landing a ship on the ground would make it easier for patrons to pay and visit and would allow all to visit not just those with money.

Well, why can't the ship be designed to land in water and be a floating circus city (ship)?
And why not for every planet (except those with no ocean/liquid area)?

On most worlds with 50% water/liquid surface land is probably very important. Landing next to a city on the ground would most likely be on valuable property or farm ground or such.

And if landing on unstablized ground (ie non-downport landing area) the weight of the ship could cause problems.

Also instead of the time it would take to have to transport the circus out of the ship to some set location, the location would be right outside the ship (if on the ground tents/shelters) or inflatable platforms for water based landing site.

Note the ship still could land on solid ground, but it should be designed with both types of landing capacity.

Also, since it would be located in an area that does not have extreme colony (world) value it will most likely be some distance from civilization (less than an hour by vehicle, say 60-100 miles {96-160 Km} ) the ship would most likely have some form of bus transport (possibly a couple of them.

This could be an actual vehicle designed for this or it could be passenger modules that are stored during transport and the module carrier used for other duties or something.

Oh, BTW how big (tonnage or dimensions) is the circus ship?

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am 

Thank you very much for your thoughts. :D
Dave Chase wrote:
Oh, BTW how big (tonnage or dimensions) is the circus ship?

I have not yet worked on this, only made some first guesses to get a general
idea what it could be like.

According to Wikipedia, a "standard" circus ring has a diameter of approximately
13 meters, and I imagine a circus with three such rings arranged in a triangle.
For "flying artists" the "tent" (cupola) above that should probably be at least 9
meters high, and there should be room enough for at least 2,000 seats.

Thinking from there and using rough estimates for all the other rooms needed,
like accomodations, office, artists's training gym, animals' cages and all that, it
seems that 3,000 dtons and a disk shape with the "tent" at the center would
be appropriate, although a powerful drive section could also make it closer to
4,000 dtons.

But this is just guesswork, no real design. The circus ship will arrive on Pandora
around the year 2456, after the discovery of the alien ruins, the expedition to
the aliens' homeworld and the introduction of the semi-intelligent Kangas on Pan-
dora - this is about 12 years after the colony was founded, so I am not in a
hurry to decide on the details of the ship.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:38 pm 
Banned

Here is a possible ship shape (no size or tons given)

Center circle is the performance area.
Single oval is the bridge area.
Small double ovals are the engine (area).

Dave Chase

Attachments:
Circus ship shape possible top view.jpg
Circus ship shape possible top view.jpg [ 68.64 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm 
Banned

The 'big' top has been raised. :)

The bottom two small circles are actually part of a large inflated ring that is the 'landing gear' of the ship.

This allows the ship to displace it's weight over a larger area and if in the ocean can give the ship greater displacement and stablization.

Dave Chase

Attachments:
Circus ship shape possible.jpg
Circus ship shape possible.jpg [ 86.51 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Have nice day.