SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 pm 

I have been playing with the idea of a small SDB that can kill much bigger ships. These ship designs are not pirate hunters, they are invader killers.

Attached is an excel spreadsheet that has designs for a 100-ton Wasp - Pretty much a Particle Beam Bay with engines. Not very survivable, but small and fast and (relatively) low cost.

Also included are several generations of the Mauler Class SDB. Starting at TL-9 and going through TL-12, the Mauler is a 200-ton design that tries to protect the crew and make it a true ship killer able to withstand damage from some larger ships.

One of the interesting things is how the change from Titanium to Crystaliron at TL-10 frees up a LOT of space for extra features. Next is the change from a Particle Beam Bay to a Meson Gun Bay at TL-11. By TL12, you have a pretty tough little ship that can kill bigger ships pretty easily.

The Mauler has all the possible coatings and hull options that allow it to hide in Gas Giant atmospheres and go pretty close to a star.

The ships were designed with Energy Weapons only so that there was no issue with running out of weapons. Typically the triple laser turret is used for Point Defense rather than offense.

Comments are welcome!

Attachment:
SDB.xls [40.5 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm 

Very nice designs, my only very minor problem with them is the crew position
of a navigator on a system defense craft, in my view a sensor and ECM ope-
rator would probably be more useful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:46 pm 

These seem like very good ship designs, and the Wasp definitely looks like something that Laana (from my Canopus setting) would be mass-producing for the case that the Incunablis Viral Empire or any independent Vampire might try something sneaky against the liberated world.

Regarding the spreadsheet, were you using a pre-made template or did you create each of the spreadsheets from scratch? Also, how easy it is to transform this type of file into tables in a published product? I might move to excel spreadsheets instead of pencil-and-paper for ship designs.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:52 pm 

I agree about the Navigator position, but I was using the TMB rules, so I felt I should list it that way. I think the Navigator would actually be a Sensor operator most of the time.

I made a template of the ship design format. It has no inbedded calculations other than what you see. I then copy the template over and start filling it in.

You can easily copy an excel spreadsheet (one sheet) into MSWord, which is what I have done for some published products. In MSWord it becomes a Table which you can then format and clean up as you like. For smaller ships, it is pretty easy to get everything to fit on one page.

I don't really have the time to build a spreadsheet with all the imbedded stuff that would allow you to pick and choose from drop-down menus. The main reason I used Excel was that is could easily sum up the tonnage and cost as I went along, so I knew if I was getting close to my limit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the info - it is going to speed up my next project for Spica a bit... :mrgreen:

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King