SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: A Bicycle Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm 

rust wrote:
I am once more back to my "old love", a water world colony setting - no bikes there ... :(

What about those paddle wheel boats?
Perhaps a bicycle frame mounted to a single pontoon (like the early sea biplanes used) with a stern paddle wheel and a front rudder. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:38 pm 

atpollard wrote:
What about those paddle wheel boats?

I am slightly sceptical concerning their seaworthiness ... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 pm 

It just needs a deep keel to keep it self righting.
It is not like a water world spends a lot of time worrying about running aground in the shoals or beaching it. :)

Heck, throw on a winged keel for planing and a para-sail for normal propulsion ... then save the peddles for docking maneuvers. 8-) [aqua-punk]

[LOL]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm 

A human-powered vehicle like that might have a second purpose beyond just transport: exercise.

You have to imagine that on a sea-colony room for a track for jogging where you don't get in the way of pedestrians with actual business will be limited. Gym equipment is probably a luxury most colonies can't afford. Obviously swimming is much better exercise, but then you get wet so must dry yourself off and in most human cultures you can't just show up to meetings and so forth wearing a bathing suit so you'd need a change of clothing and so on.

So I could imagine something like a mechanism like those reclining bicycles you see mated with a lightweight transparent shell around it to protect the occupant from spray and for purposes of buoyancy. It'd stay at the surface (air supply would just be through vents to the outside) for the most part, though it could safely submerge for short periods. The vehicle would be propelled by human-powered propeller. It generally wouldn't be used as a work vehicle, instead it'd be used for commuting between relatively closely sited clusters of colony structures (around 1km - 5km) and as a pleasure craft. Like modern bicycles, most riders would use it during fair weather, though more than few hardcores might use it submerged during poor weather.