SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 300t SDB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 am 
Banned

Here is the 300 t System Defense Craft I promised/threatened to post a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.4shared.com/document/jTNZ4xc4/SDS_300t.html

When I finish the deck plans I will combine as a zip file and upload.

Post subject: Re: 300t SDB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:04 pm 

Sweet!

I am on a bit of an SBD kick myself right now.

I am trying to come up with a variety of designs for a variety of missions and at a variety of TLs.

Sort of like a company with wide range of products.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:34 pm 
Banned

Sounds interesting. Kinda like the different type of submarines (non ICBM) that various military's are currently developing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:51 pm 

I've downloaded it and it looks good to my quick scan. Reminds me of a (TL-12) version I made some time ago.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:20 pm 

To expand on what I have been thinking about SDBs, I figure they fit into two basic types:

1. Search and Rescue (and Piracy Suppression)
2. System Defense (from invading navies)

S&R-P ships are going to be armed, but mostly with turrets and an occasional barbette. They aren't really designed to fight as much as scare people off and maybe damage a lightly armed and armoured ship. These ships have small craft and stuff like that.

System Defense ships are going to be designed to destroy ships, period. These ships are going to be mounting bay weapons and barbettes and an unarmoured ship doesn't stand a chance against them. Weapons and armour and speed, nothing fancy but very deadly.

I have designed a 100-ton ship with a 50-ton bay weapon. Not much else besides drives and weapon. Very fragile, but with a big punch.

All of the SDB designs that I have seen seem to fall into the S&R category rather than true system defense (at least the smaller ships).

A 400-ton SDB can mount 2 50-ton bays and 2 barbettes (requires PP=5+). There is still room to max out armour and give it a decent acceleration, depending on the TL. At high TL, it can have M=6 AND max armour. You can also limit the crew size by using Expert Programs (MGT) and you can get a pretty nasty little ship for under 1000 MCr. With 2 bay weapons, it can mount torpedoes for long range attacks and either a Particle Beam or a Meson Gun for short range fights. The other 2 turrets can either provide point defense or additional offensive power.

A SDB can probably take out 2-3 times it's tonnage in jump capable ships. On a typical jump ship, a spinal mount isn't really feasible until you get over 10,000 tons (again MGT rules), but an SDB of 3-5000 tons can probably fit a spinal mount in (still working on the design so I'm not positive).

And SDBs are a LOT cheaper than jump ships.

At 6gs, an SDB can respond faster than a jump ship anywhere in the inner system and most of the outer system. Station a few near each of your gas giants and the rest at the mainworld and you have a decent system defense without breaking the bank.

If you go for a big ship universe, then Monitors (non-Jump Capital Ships) should be able to hold their own against just about anything.

In the OTU, where the Imperial Navy standard is J-4, the ships have to waste almost half their tonnage on jump fuel. Monitors don't have that problem and can pack in much bigger more powerful weapons or have HUGE missile/torpedo magazines. AND if they use buffered planetoids, they get armour above their TL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:51 pm 
Banned

Jame Rowe wrote:
I've downloaded it and it looks good to my quick scan. Reminds me of a (TL-12) version I made some time ago.

Thanks. I'm not REALLY familiar with ship combat in MGT so, I gave it the old college try.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:55 pm 
Banned

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
To expand on what I have been thinking about SDBs, I figure they fit into two basic types:

1. Search and Rescue (and Piracy Suppression)
2. System Defense (from invading navies)

I agree with that analysis. My design is category 1. If I was to build a Cat 2 I'd probably try a 1000t version that was all sharp teeth and armor. (haven't analysed defensive screens yet in MGT)