SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:08 pm 

rust wrote:
Hmm ... this kind of gauss weapon would require a lot of energy, the
ship would most probably need a nuclear reactor to provide it, and a
power failure would make the weapon useless. And I do not see how
the trajectory control should work without some kind of drive added
to the projectile, control surfaces alone will hardly be sufficient to hit
the target, especially since the lack of an explosive warhead makes it
necessary to hit quite precisely.

True, but the loss of power takes out your Point Defense Lasers as well. Without a Power Plant you are limited to missiles and sand, everything else needs a lot of power.

Special Supplement 3 for CT gave you a way to design new missiles by selecting Warhead, Guidance and Propulsion options. It provided TL advantages etc. The big problem was that everything was limited to 6G, so it isn't really compatible with MGT.

In the back of my mind is a plan to update this supplement to MGT rules (going up to 16G or more), but too many other things on my plate right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 pm 

I should think that a loss of power plant means you're going to lose a lot of things - the guns being unable to fire may very well be the least of your problems.

No sensors - while active sensors are going to take a lot less power than a railgun they still take quite a bit of juice - and no sensors means no fire control.

No air conditioning - which is pretty important to a ship in that it also provides control of breathable air going to various parts of the ship.

I'm sure there's some other key points that I'm forgetting, but modern vessels (and starships even moreso I'd imagine) depend very heavily on electrical power.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 pm 

I don't think its possible to hit the power plant with the CT rules. I think there are only four systems that can be damaged. I could be wrong, haven't gone over this stuff in a year. This could only be in Mayday.

I started to make a whole series of combat charts and maps last year to handle CT (Classic Traveller) space combat.
It would handle everything from ship type, weapons, number of missiles, damage, computer programs, thrust vector and even all the aspects of each missile. Warhead, guidance, propulsion, fuel, thrust and even vector.

larger picture
http://www.lexweb.us/mayday/ctstarshipcombat.jpg

I need to get back working on it.

One thing I came up with is using a vector arrow with thrust after playing around with SPI's old CA (Cruiser) rules. Instead of using three different counters to represent present, future and past positions. This I think is also a much better system than Triplanetary's grease pencil marks on a map.

Last edited by Otto_Harkaman on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:48 pm 

Pardon me, it is possible to hit the powerplant, I had been totally focused on the Mayday rules.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am 

epicenter wrote:
I should think that a loss of power plant means you're going to lose a lot of things - the guns being unable to fire may very well be the least of your problems.

For most low power systems, like the life support, there should be sufficient battery
power for at least some hours, and the loss of the active sensors would only disarm
the ship if the crew forgot to store smart missiles, which have their own targeting
sensors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm 

There is another problem as well. While sandcasters might work well if you think of them as a giant shotgun against missiles, that idea obviously can't work against lightspeed weapons coming in. You'd have to shoot "back" before they shoot at you! The problem is that the sand immediately falls behind as the ship continues to accelerate. It is only in position for a tiny fraction of a second and then it is useless except as a potential shipping hazard as it drifts through shipping lanes.

On the other hand, if the sand canister were in fact a tethered drone* type of thingy that would take up station near the bow of the ship and release its load of sand over time, then it could protect against lasers as well as missiles. Higher factors mean more of the sand drones spewing out a curtain of sand, meaning a denser curtain and covering the ship from more angles.** So, in that case, it would make sense to fire it from a missile tube, but it would make even more sense to fire it out of a dedicated fixed angle launch tube built directly into the hull without wasting a turret space.

* Yes, I've been reading the Honor Harrington series, and got this from there.

** As a nasty aside, having all that sand forming a curtain could mean that there is now a giant sign pointing to the exact spot where the ship can be found. Hmm, how well does sand show up on radar?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
rust wrote:
Hmm ... this kind of gauss weapon would require a lot of energy, the
ship would most probably need a nuclear reactor to provide it, and a
power failure would make the weapon useless. And I do not see how
the trajectory control should work without some kind of drive added
to the projectile, control surfaces alone will hardly be sufficient to hit
the target, especially since the lack of an explosive warhead makes it
necessary to hit quite precisely.

True, but the loss of power takes out your Point Defense Lasers as well. Without a Power Plant you are limited to missiles and sand, everything else needs a lot of power.

Special Supplement 3 for CT gave you a way to design new missiles by selecting Warhead, Guidance and Propulsion options. It provided TL advantages etc. The big problem was that everything was limited to 6G, so it isn't really compatible with MGT.

In the back of my mind is a plan to update this supplement to MGT rules (going up to 16G or more), but too many other things on my plate right now.

Please update that supplement for MgT!

Even back in CT, I read that and thought that the missile propulsion systems were completely unrealistic. To catch an enemy ship, the missile must accelerate at a substantially higher rate. My quick fix back in the day was to simply make all the propulsion systems have twice the acceleration as listed. And unguided missiles make no sense whatsoever...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 pm 

There has been some attempt on the MGT board to come up with a Missile Supplement. I don't particularly agree with all of the assumptions, but it is a good attempt.

I think an updated Missile/Torpedo Supplement would be a great addition to the Traveller OGL.

HUMMM