SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:23 am 

New article in Space Defense magazine about Ares Militech Inc. which has developed a launch tube capable of shooting standard missiles, sandcaster shells, as well as a Flechette canister native pacifier based on the MGM-51 Shillelagh. You're friend on the frontier!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 am 

Yes, I always wondered why you'd need two different types of launcher in Traveller. Presumably the sandcaster actually provides the propulsive power, such as compressed gas, as it doesn't need much of a kick. But I could see the same thing working for missiles, where the launcher pushes the weapon out of the tube before it ignites its engines. Not much point in that with gravitic manoeuvre drives, admittedly, but it would make your weapons system far more useful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 am 

Vile wrote:
Yes, I always wondered why you'd need two different types of launcher in Traveller. Presumably the sandcaster actually provides the propulsive power, such as compressed gas, as it doesn't need much of a kick. But I could see the same thing working for missiles, where the launcher pushes the weapon out of the tube before it ignites its engines. Not much point in that with gravitic manoeuvre drives, admittedly, but it would make your weapons system far more useful.

Exactly :)

Just storage space allotment, what do you want to carry and what do you want to shoot when.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:59 pm 

I’d given that some thought along those same lines as well, but in the end, I decided that canon has been so emphatic for so long that sandcasters and missile launchers ARE different systems that it would be less disruptive to simply design a minimal range/maximum payload missile full of sand that fires from a standard missile launcher. You get the same end result (one weapon to fire both missiles and sand) with far less disruption to the existing rules and ship designs. As long as the ‘sand-caster missile’ costs a little more than the classic sandcaster canister, game balance is preserved.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 pm 

atpollard wrote:
it would be less disruptive to simply design a minimal range/maximum payload missile full of sand that fires from a standard missile launcher. You get the same end result (one weapon to fire both missiles and sand) with far less disruption to the existing rules and ship designs.

my thoughts exactly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:59 pm 

It seems to me that Traveller could work pretty easily with a "Standard Launcher". If you are using CT (old HG), the Rating of the system is more about how many dedicated types of launchers you have to Sand and Missiles, not the details of the launcher itself.

Having a merchant ship with a single launcher and a dozen sand cannisters is probably pretty common, but if the captain can get ahold of a surplus missile somewhere, that becomes a nasty surprise for the pirate as he closes for boarding.

I really like the idea.

Modern submarines use a launch system that pushes the missile out of the launch tube before it ignites (saving the sub from getting burned through). Such a system would work in space as well (or a variation of it would). Once gravitics come in, your launcher is more about storage and guidance and less about a launch system as such. VERY doable and with only a little squinting I think it could fit easily into Traveller.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Once gravitics come in, your launcher is more about storage and guidance and less about a launch system as such. VERY doable and with only a little squinting I think it could fit easily into Traveller.

Yes exactly!

guidance, propulsion and warhead type

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 pm 

Otto_Harkaman wrote:
Vile wrote:

Exactly :)

Just storage space allotment, what do you want to carry and what do you want to shoot when.

Though by TL 10 the propulsion system should be gauss instead of compressed gas.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:10 am 

Jame Rowe wrote:
Though by TL 10 the propulsion system should be gauss instead of compressed gas.

You would think that by then that you could have some sort of Aegis anti-missile system with a gauss gun. Since you can have anti-missile lasers.

I haven't read much on this stuff in awhile, I did just notice that there is a while gauss idea for propelling spaceships as well.

I did notice the interesting U.S. navy's recent test on Dec 10 2010 with the railgun they are developing.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/12/10/navy-railgun-shoots-bullets-electromagnet/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:26 am 

Hmm ... this kind of gauss weapon would require a lot of energy, the
ship would most probably need a nuclear reactor to provide it, and a
power failure would make the weapon useless. And I do not see how
the trajectory control should work without some kind of drive added
to the projectile, control surfaces alone will hardly be sufficient to hit
the target, especially since the lack of an explosive warhead makes it
necessary to hit quite precisely.