SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:55 pm 

What about a combo Rocket.

The initial launch is via a "Cannon" that shoots the ship high into the atmosphere and then an on-board solid rocket takes it into space.

Rather than a single big rocket, you have a bunch of smaller rockets that are fired in sequence to control attitude and get a longer thrust pattern. I like the limitation of solid rockets that once fired, they have to burn to the end. So the solution is a bunch of small rockets that you fire when needed.

Vision: A spherical (ish) module that is fired from an electric cannon (think Railgun). Once in the air, the bottom part drops off revealing the bottom of the ship covered in rocket nozzles. These are fired in triplets or pairs to balance attitude and once exhausted, they are jetisonned to save weight.

Once in space, compressed gasses provide attitude control.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:31 pm 

I don't think a cannon launch is useful for manned vessels. Cannon are much more efficient with energy than rockets are, but they only work over a distance equal to the barrel length, and v = SQRT(2 d a) means that you need extremely long barrels or extremely high acceleration to get high muzzle velocity.

Escape velocity is the square root of (surface gravity times planet's radius), and you just can't make barrels long enough to contribute usefully to that without employing accelerations much higher than are humanly survivable.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:05 am 

Given that dieselpunk is an aesthetic as opposed to an inflexible dogma (or honestly, even something firmly fixed in science), I think as long as the spirit of dieselpunk is preserved, there's nothing really wrong with rockets. In fact, I don't think you really even need a low gravity world. I think the biggest conceit is that dieselpunk is kind of boring in vacuum, so both the starting point and destination would probably have to have a breathable atmosphere.

I more imagine dieselpunk interplanetary vehicles as being spaceplanes, as opposed to your typical "finned rocket-ship."

As Atpollard suggested, the idea might be perhaps that there are very advanced combination aircraft/blimps that lift the spaceplanes high up in the atmosphere to save fuel. Only once the blimps can no longer really take the plane any higher does the plane use its own fuel.

Of course, this is dieselpunk, so for some reason like "saving fuel" or something like that, the spaceplane wouldn't use rocket propulsion all the time but would switch to propellers once there's enough air. These props would be powered by massive inline engines, of course, because inlines are more dieselpunk than radial engines. (Do not think about the interaction of propellers and re-entry. This will just make you have unfun bouts of science, though it is possible the spaceplane might make re-entry as a basic glider and the propellers could unfold once the re-entry danger is clear. Perhaps it'd involve gangs of greasy overalled mechanics who have to manually deploy the folded propellers from inside of large nacelles of a flying-wing design every time.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:56 am 

You remind me of an SF children's novel that I read when I was in primary school and now can't remember the name of. 1960s setting, maybe late Fifties. The heroes were two RAAF officers who had a spaceplane that somehow combined a supersonic jet with a rocket. It was able to get to 50,000 feet and several times the speed of sound in air-breathing mode which (supposedly) left its rockets capable of the rest of SSTO. I couldn't calculate orbital speeds back then. Also, they were armed with revolvers (Which seems odd in retrospect. Surely the ADF was using Browning Hi-Powers?)

I don't remember the title or author. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Last edited by Agemegos on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:14 am 

Aha! I think it must have been one of the "Simon Black" novels by Ivan Southall. Probably Simon Black in Space (1952) or Simon Black and the Spacemen (1955).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
Aha! I think it must have been one of the "Simon Black" novels by Ivan Southall. Probably Simon Black in Space (1952) or Simon Black and the Spacemen (1955).

I decided to check it out ... the nearest copy of "Simon Black in Space" is only 2000 miles away ... but I can buy a 1974 hard cover from NZ.
NZ to Florida is pretty close to exactly 'the other side of the world'. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:57 pm 

Wasn't Von Braun dreaming of spaceflight during WWII or even earlier? The V-2 and R-7 rockets do have a certain Dieselpunk aesthetic to them.

Though personally I'm more into AtomPunk than DieselPunk. Vacuum tube (and electro-mechanical) computers, fission power plants and engines, R-7 style rocket-ships with nuclear engines, a lot of heavy-duty machinery rather than the sleeker tech shown in later sci-fi. A bit like Fallout, methinks, though perhaps with less humor. Digital computers? Antimatter? Silvery saucers? BAH! Give me a vacuum-tube-run, nuclear-fission-powered rocketship any day! A bit like the old sci-fi I used to read as a kid (it was in the mid-1990's but a huge portion of the sci-fi books I can get back then in Israel were from the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's).

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:02 pm 

I also vaguely recall a children/young adult novel from the 1940's (?) or 1950's (?) (even the Hebrew translation was old, possibly dating back to the 1950's) where there were kids who joined their uncle (?) on his rocket trip to the tenth planet, which had life on it, and if I recall correctly the uncle had competitors and trouble ensued.

Oh, and my mother's family had a tradition of reading Jules Verne as kids, my grand-grandfather was angry at my grandfather when he was a teenager ad read From Earth to the Moon back in the 1920's in Romania rather than studying Torah; my mother as a child and teenager devoured Verne novels (this time encouraged by her parents) and so did I. So we do have a steampunk tradition in my family...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:39 pm 

Here is what comes immediately after the classic Dieselpunk Era ... a manned V2 called the A9 (1944-45):

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
Wasn't Von Braun dreaming of spaceflight during WWII or even earlier?

Goddard too, I think.