SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 am 

Freelance Traveller is looking for articles for our magazine! If you have an idea that you want to share, we have space for it - so put it into electrons and send it off to us. If you don't feel you write well, that's not an obstacle; we'll help you get it into publishable shape. Do you feel that the idea is incomplete? That might be a problem, but we're willing to try to help you formulate it and complete it, and get it into shape for publication. Not sure if the idea is "good enough" to share? Let us be the judge of that.

Or perhaps your talent lies more toward artwork than writing? That's good, too - we can always use art as well - cover art, interior art, "fake ads", et cetera.

ANYTHING Traveller is fair game - reviews of published products, fiction, house rules and rule mods, general background information from your campaigns or your "vision" of the Traveller universe, starship designs, vehicle designs, weapon designs, descriptions of things that a character might want to buy (or not!), NPCs, PCs, animals, adventure ideas... whatever. We're interested.

Our submission guidelines are at http://www.freelancetraveller.com/infoc ... guide.html - but it's more important that you get the material down on "paper" first.

Your contributions are important to us - they're our reason for existence!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:20 am 
Banned

Deadline(s)?

And thanks for still producing :)

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:02 pm 

I have an article I would like to submit. Unfortunately, my damn work computer blocks the Freelance Site (how dare they expect me to do WORK at work!).

It was written as OGL, but I could easily convert it to FUP. What is the preference?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
I have an article I would like to submit. Unfortunately, my damn work computer blocks the Freelance Site (how dare they expect me to do WORK at work!).

It was written as OGL, but I could easily convert it to FUP. What is the preference?

Responded to the PM.

Anyone else has trouble sending email to the domain freelancetraveller.com, my handle on this forum at GMail can be used as a last-ditch to get it to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:49 pm 

We're getting ready to release our first monthly issue of Freelance Traveller Magazine, and we're quite pleased about what we've heard from our readership about the introductory issue in November.

We're going to need a steadier stream of contributions, though, than we've had in the past. However, we know that sometimes, the problem that a potential author has isn't a question of ability, but of inspiration. Thus, two separate solicitations:

First, material (naturally): If it's a Traveller article or artwork, it's grist for our mill. Send it. Really. Stories, adventures, house rules, landgrabs, aliens, beasts, starships, guns, gizmos, ... send it. If it's suitable as it stands, we'll look to make space for it, even if the forthcoming-at-the- time-of-submission issue is "full" - we'll always take articles "ahead" of time. If it's NOT suitable as it stands, we'll get back to you to discuss how it can be MADE suitable. Artwork need not be high-grade renders; high-quality scans of drawings or woodcuts or paintings or... are just as acceptable, as long as the theme is Traveller. And don't feel compelled to limit yourself to the kinds of articles that we've previously put on the website or printed in previous issues of the magazine - if you have an idea that doesn't really fit in an existing department, we'd prefer to create a new department for a good article rather than forgo the article. Oh, and remember - Freelance Traveller supports ALL versions of Traveller, any setting for a Traveller ruleset (e.g., Babylon 5, Judge Dredd, Hammer's Slammers, and Strontium Dog), and Traveller settings for other systems (e.g., GURPS Traveller, T20, RISUS Traveller, EABA Traveller, Traveller HERO, etc.). And Traveller settings aren't all "OTU", either. We can talk. Really.

Submissions of material should go to submissions@freelancetraveller.com by preference; editor@freelancetraveller.com will also work.

Second, IDEAS: We'd like to be able to do theme issues every so often. A theme issue will have most of the articles connected in some way with the declared theme - if the theme were, for example, "The Imperial Coronation", we'd want stories or adventures that center around the coronation; descriptions of stores on Capital near the Imperial City; specs, plans, and descriptions of the Imperial Yacht; a landgrab or Rice Paper about Capital; and so on. Certain regular columns might not be tied to the theme, but that's OK. But that's not the issue at hand, the request is for IDEAS - specifically, IDEAS FOR THEMES FOR ISSUES. The ideal theme will allow for articles of all types - adventures, stories, stuff, starships, house rules, and so on. But, even if the theme you're thinking of isn't really ideal, send it in. An idea is an idea, and even if it can't be used as presented, maybe it can be combined with another less-than-ideal idea, to make a much better one. If it's "obvious", send it in anyway, because obvious to you isn't necessarily obvious to others.

Ideas should be sent to editor@freelancetraveller.com.

Please? It's never either too early or too late to participate!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:12 pm 

The release referred to below is less than a week away (we're planning on having it downloadable before Christmas UTC), and we're already starting work on future issues - not just February, but March, and possibly April, as well. The call for material and ideas stands - please, PLEASE, let your imagination flow, and share the results with us, so that we can share with the community!

FreeTrav wrote:
We're getting ready to release our first monthly issue of Freelance Traveller Magazine, and we're quite pleased about what we've heard from our readership about the introductory issue in November.

We're going to need a steadier stream of contributions, though, than we've had in the past. However, we know that sometimes, the problem that a potential author has isn't a question of ability, but of inspiration. Thus, two separate solicitations:

First, material (naturally): If it's a Traveller article or artwork, it's grist for our mill. Send it. Really. Stories, adventures, house rules, landgrabs, aliens, beasts, starships, guns, gizmos, ... send it. If it's suitable as it stands, we'll look to make space for it, even if the forthcoming-at-the- time-of-submission issue is "full" - we'll always take articles "ahead" of time. If it's NOT suitable as it stands, we'll get back to you to discuss how it can be MADE suitable. Artwork need not be high-grade renders; high-quality scans of drawings or woodcuts or paintings or... are just as acceptable, as long as the theme is Traveller. And don't feel compelled to limit yourself to the kinds of articles that we've previously put on the website or printed in previous issues of the magazine - if you have an idea that doesn't really fit in an existing department, we'd prefer to create a new department for a good article rather than forgo the article. Oh, and remember - Freelance Traveller supports ALL versions of Traveller, any setting for a Traveller ruleset (e.g., Babylon 5, Judge Dredd, Hammer's Slammers, and Strontium Dog), and Traveller settings for other systems (e.g., GURPS Traveller, T20, RISUS Traveller, EABA Traveller, Traveller HERO, etc.). And Traveller settings aren't all "OTU", either. We can talk. Really.

Submissions of material should go to submissions@freelancetraveller.com by preference; editor@freelancetraveller.com will also work.

Second, IDEAS: We'd like to be able to do theme issues every so often. A theme issue will have most of the articles connected in some way with the declared theme - if the theme were, for example, "The Imperial Coronation", we'd want stories or adventures that center around the coronation; descriptions of stores on Capital near the Imperial City; specs, plans, and descriptions of the Imperial Yacht; a landgrab or Rice Paper about Capital; and so on. Certain regular columns might not be tied to the theme, but that's OK. But that's not the issue at hand, the request is for IDEAS - specifically, IDEAS FOR THEMES FOR ISSUES. The ideal theme will allow for articles of all types - adventures, stories, stuff, starships, house rules, and so on. But, even if the theme you're thinking of isn't really ideal, send it in. An idea is an idea, and even if it can't be used as presented, maybe it can be combined with another less-than-ideal idea, to make a much better one. If it's "obvious", send it in anyway, because obvious to you isn't necessarily obvious to others.

Ideas should be sent to editor@freelancetraveller.com.

Please? It's never either too early or too late to participate!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:26 am 

Bumping the topic - everything we've asked for in the past, we're still interested in, and eager to get. At a loss for ideas? Well...

Since there's so much stuff professionally published for all versions of Traveller, we want to try to run three reviews per issue until we're 'caught up' - but I'd rather not be the one writing all three reviews in any given issue, so please, pick a product, by any Traveller material publisher, past or present - even if it's been reviewed before - and write what you think of it. There's a place in Critics' Corner waiting...

Traveller fiction - one-shots or serials, Raconteurs' Rest is the place for them. Illustrated stories - graphic novel style or just vignettes to accompany text - would represent a whole new vista for Freelance Traveller, and one we'd like to embrace. Independent efforts and collaborations are both welcome, as are stories based on published (or unpublished) campaigns or adventures.

Stuff! From rare goods to exotic foods to the latest in personal arms to something so ubiquitous that nobody even thinks about them any more (where's that multi-planet chronometer?), you should be able to find it In A Store Near You. Or maybe you'd prefer to tell us about a favorite store with its own unique character, where you can GET the Stuff!? We'll open a franchise on The Promenade, so everyone can enjoy it.

Lots of people play Traveller! If you're doing it your way, you could be Doing It My Way, without changing a thing - just TELL us how you're doing it, and why!

Freelance Traveller has LOTS of departments, all of which can use new material! Take a look at past issues, and at our website (where we have TONS of stuff that dates back to before we became a magazine), and see if any of it inspires you! We hope it does - and that you'll share your inspiration with us!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:52 pm 

We'd like to get the next issue out this weekend. We have enough material for the important part of the magazine - the content - so we could do it. BUT...

I'd rather not release it with a blank white cover, and to release it with a blank black cover (except for the Freelance Traveller masthead and issue date) would arguably be a violation of the 'trade dress' terms in the Mongoose license(s).

So... I'm looking for artwork. Anything that you'd reasonably expect to see as Traveller artwork, any style (not just the renders that we've had up to now), portrait orientation. It should be possible to resize and trim to either ANSI A (US Letter, 8.5x11 inches) or ISO 216 size A4 (210x297 mm). Preferred formats are GIF, JPG, or PNG, but anything that can be read by the free Windows program IrfanView is acceptable.

The sooner the better; please send it to editor@freelancetraveller.com. PLEASE?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:54 pm 

As you have seen in the PDF magazine, the "print" version of Freelance Traveller is in two columns. The website, however, even if you choose to print an article from it, is only one column. There is a technique that many (but not all) recent browsers honor that can be used to cause the articles to print in two columns from the website.

QUESTION THE FIRST: Shall I implement this technique, so that when a visitor chooses to print an article from the website, it prints in a two-column format? Browsers that do not honor the technique will see no change from the current print format.

QUESTION THE SECOND: The same technique is honored by the same browsers for screen display as well. However, whereas the print version sensibly breaks columns for page breaks, on the screen, one would end up scrolling down whilst reading the first column, then manually jumping back to the top of the page, then reading down the second column. Shall I implement the technique for screen display? Again, browsers that do not honor the technique will see no change from the current display format.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:36 pm 

I say yes to both.