SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:57 am 

I thought a simple "Sure, free stuff is ok" was a bit too simple in the real world of business. Flynn, I hope you can hammer out a deal with Matt over this (but it looks like it's going to be very difficult). :cry:

msprange wrote:
Hi guys,

We are currently looking into this. We have no wish to hammer fan-based publications, but now the TLL and OGL have been released for Traveller, we have to be very sure about what can be done, and how.

To give an example. . .

Suppose Stellar Reaches (or A N Other web site) produces a new rules article for Traveller - they would use the OGL to do so (no getting round that, it is what it is there for - though they need not use the TLL).

Now suppose, in the same issue (or the same article!), they also have a piece on how Scouts, say, interact with the rest of the OTU. If that piece also becomes Open Content, it creates a massive problem for us, as people could use it as an end-around to sell OTU material. Which is a no-no (and not because we are greedy - the agreement we have with Marc, indeed one of the fundamental points of the new Traveller, is that OTU material only comes from one source).

There are possible ways round this, but we need to work through them so that everyone is happy.

Basically, someone needs to get the guy behind Stellar Reaches to contact me :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 pm 
The Revelator

WTF? Looks like the rules are changing somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:46 pm 

John wrote:
WTF? Looks like the rules are changing somehow.

I knew this would happen, I just did not think it would happen so quickly.

The first time I saw Matt refer to maybe having words like Governemnt as closed content I could see where he was going. WotC part II. At least they waited a few years before trying to kill other publishers using their content.

Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm 

Well, I'm going to wait and see what happens. But from that comment, I see no real way around it. I always thought that the original off-the-cuff remark about free OTU stuff being ok was too good to be true. Man, there are times when I wonder about whether the internet has really made the world more free - or the other way around. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:13 pm 

I suspect that Mongoose has been reminded by Marc Miller that there is one - and only one - source of
OTU material, which is Miller's Far Future Enterprises, and that no official or semi-official OTU material
may be published without Miller's approval. And so Mongoose now has to find a legally "watertight" way
to allow free fan publications without enabling any kind of abuse by publishing commercial OTU material
via Open Content of free fan material. This may take some time (lawyers are not exactly among the
fastest of professions ...), but I still think Mongoose will finally come up with an acceptable solution.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:26 pm 

I think there has to be a solution out there.

We are NOT talking OFFICIAL OTU material here. We are talking about a Fanzine! (and a damn good one too)

Seems to some kind of disclaimer on any OTU related material would be OK. Similar disclaimers have appeared on other free Traveller sites for decades.

Actually, I am GLAD this is coming out now. I would hate to have several years worth of stuff out there and then suddenly have it yanked out from under us. Lets get the issue solved NOW once and for all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm 

wouldn't it be funny if fans made their own ATU to base material on?
compatible yet different?

So much of Trav was lifted from previous books and films that it would be hard to say where an idea came from.
the Vagh ( Hindi for 'tiger' ); a race of tiger-like warriors, with a society based on a caste system with warriors on top
Presto, a replacement for Aslan yet compatible.

that sort of thing...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:44 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, let's not get all hysterical yet... let's just see how this pans out. I'm concerned about SR, but also about how this will affect websites too (not mine, since I genericised it a few months ago).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:13 pm 

The funny side effect of over-enforcing the copyright of the OTU would be that Traveller would once again be used for what it was initially intended for - designing your own universes. The OTU might die in the process, though (never underestimate the importance of a fan-base to your market).

But from the few correspondences I had with the Mongoose staff they seem to be reasonable fellows; so there is still hope. I hope as well that their lawyers are similarly reasonable (and competent enough to pull them out of the messy OGL entanglement they are now in without killing their well-selling setting).

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:06 pm 

I have one question: Is the assumption everyone is making is that Mongoose is now the Marc Miller police?

I mean Mongoose keeps saying one source when referring to their own stuff and their OGL. But there is SJG for example. Does this mean Mongoose thinks SJG will stop doing Traveller? I am confused by Mongoose Matt's full statement.

Daniel