SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:47 am
Posts: 1805
Location: The Maze of Peril
I'm not sure that Stellar Reaches OTU stuff would have to be retroactively withdrawn. After all, Flynn had permission for those issues at the time. Sounds a bit like book-burning to me.

But, back to the question, I'm sure there would be more than enough material which could be produced for ATUs. The question is, why, when people could just use the Traveller license and SRD to publish the stuff for money (even if sales are not ging to pay anyone's gas bill).

_________________
The AEON:engine™


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:08 am
Posts: 3107
Location: Sonthofen / Germany
Vile wrote:
The question is, why, when people could just use the Traveller license and SRD to publish the stuff for money (even if sales are not ging to pay anyone's gas bill).


While a single contribution to a fanzine (an alien here, a ship there ...) could be not worth the trouble to sell it on its
own, the entire fanzine as a collection of such contributions might well be - just think of JTAS, where one has to pay
for a subscription.
On the other hand, the work to calculate the monetary rewards for all contributions, to transfer the money and to do
the bookkeeping (over here it might even include the duty to pay taxes and deal with all the red tape connected to
taxes) might make it look more prudent to hand it out for free.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:41 am
Posts: 2149
Location: Yavne, Israel
Vile wrote:
I'm not sure that Stellar Reaches OTU stuff would have to be retroactively withdrawn. After all, Flynn had permission for those issues at the time. Sounds a bit like book-burning to me.

That was for the worst-case scenario of all OTU-related stuff having to be withdrawn from the internet.

Vile wrote:
But, back to the question, I'm sure there would be more than enough material which could be produced for ATUs. The question is, why, when people could just use the Traveller license and SRD to publish the stuff for money (even if sales are not ging to pay anyone's gas bill).

Because we all like reading - and writing - useful and fun fan material for free; many of the Stellar Reaches contributors - including Flynn - are in the process of writing commercial Traveller-SRD products. But we're writing free stuff as well because we enjoy it and because we enjoy seeing free stuff written by others. A part of each fan community is a "gift economy" of sorts, in which fans write things that other fans like to read for no material return just for the fun of it and in order to show they ideas to the rest of the community. We love sharing our ideas if only for the joy of seeing others use them and write positive responses to them.

Also, free and commercial publications are two different things. Free stuff could cover stuff which is fun to read and even more fun to write but which is too marginal, anecdotal, amateurish or simple too short for a viable commercial product. Commercial products need quality control, a good layout, quality - or at least, passable - art, and of course all the financial, copyright, legal/tax and business headaches of doing anything commercial.

For example, how many of you would've paid money for my two-page flamethrower rules from SR #7? Sure, it is a nice little collection of house-rules and stats, and hopefully a useful one at that, but is it worth spending your hard-earned money on it?

_________________
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:47 am
Posts: 1805
Location: The Maze of Peril
And HERE IT IS. I suggest anyone with a Traveller website should get the facts straight from the Mongoose's mouth.

_________________
The AEON:engine™


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:36 am
Posts: 164
Location: West Auckland
Vile wrote:
And HERE IT IS. I suggest anyone with a Traveller website should get the facts straight from the Mongoose's mouth.


Hmm, got a 'Topic does not exist' message - or were you being ironic :twisted: ?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:13 am 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 am
Posts: 5294
Dietrich hault-Rauln wrote:
Vile wrote:
And HERE IT IS. I suggest anyone with a Traveller website should get the facts straight from the Mongoose's mouth.


Hmm, got a 'Topic does not exist' message - or were you being ironic :twisted: ?


It was there, but Mongoose deleted it as they're in the process of revising it. It does seem to be taking longer than they anticipated to get the new Fair Use rules up though.

_________________
SFRPG Owner/Admin
This post (or any other post I made here) may not be quoted or copied beyond the SF RPG boards without my explicit permission.
Check out the latest news from Spica Publishing!
evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Texas, USA
Well considering the 30+ years of fan-created stuff on the internet, they ARE trying to come up with something that will let all that stuff stay and yet still protect Mongoose's investment.

I was hoping there would be something out by now, but obviously it is taking longer than originally anticipated (doesn't everything in life though?).

_________________
My friends call me Richard. You can call me Sir.
www.XmasDragon.com


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 225
Location: Burbank, CA
Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Well considering the 30+ years of fan-created stuff on the internet, they ARE trying to come up with something that will let all that stuff stay and yet still protect Mongoose's investment.

I was hoping there would be something out by now, but obviously it is taking longer than originally anticipated (doesn't everything in life though?).
I work with Contracts and Legal Departments as part of my work. Nothing, I mean nothing moves fast in that world. Lawyers make everything slower.

But in the end I hope Mongoose does come up with a way to allow the fans some room while protecting themselves.

Daniel


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:36 am
Posts: 164
Location: West Auckland
Daniel wrote:
I work with Contracts and Legal Departments as part of my work. Nothing, I mean nothing moves fast in that world. Lawyers make everything slower.


Not wishing to be rude :mrgreen: but what do you expect from a profession that charges by the 1/4 hour? :lol:

My apologies to any lawyers, past or present


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:36 am
Posts: 164
Location: West Auckland
Golan2072 wrote:
Other than that, I think that we should write our own, open-content, free universe for SR publication, references and use.


I was thinking about this very idea when I first started reading this thread. Would it be a big project to set up a "Stellar Reaches" house sector (called, I don't know, Stellar Reaches Sector) as a sort of MultiUser ATU? Its sole purpose would be to provide location hooks and a loose setting for people to write OGL stuff, without breaching all the legal stuff around the OTU. Or would this be seen as a cheesey trick that any lawyer worth his writsaber will automatically see through?

I know Flynn has already done a lot of work on the Empty Quarter in various eps of Stellar Reaches and, I assume, he games in the area he writes about. If he isn't able to proceed with publicly presenting his gameverse, would it be a problem to point contributors to SR in the direction of a house ATU?

Just thinking out loud, here.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited