SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:30 am 

Dietrich hault-Rauln wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I work with Contracts and Legal Departments as part of my work. Nothing, I mean nothing moves fast in that world. Lawyers make everything slower.

Not wishing to be rude :mrgreen: but what do you expect from a profession that charges by the 1/4 hour? :lol:

My apologies to any lawyers, past or present

The Lawyers I work with would laugh right along with you. :lol:

They have some of the harshest things to say about Lawyers and they also have the best Lawyer jokes as well.

Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 pm 

Quote:
Issue #4:
The UWPS provided in the article “Alpha Quadrant of the Empty Quarter Sector” are designated as Open Game Content.
The stat blocks and all T20 game mechanics derived from the SRD and the Traveller’s Handbook as provided in the feature adventures are designated as Open Game Content.
The T20 information contained in the BITS Task System is designated as Open Game Content.
The prestige class information contained in the Prestigious Careers articles is designated as Open Game Content.
Any and all other material derived from the SRD and the Traveller’s Handbook is designated as Open Game Content.

Hi Guys, this quote was taken from the stellar reaches blog pages. As matt at mongoose has already said, what is open stay's open. So really it looks like mongoose are trying to lay claim to something that really doesn't belong to them, namely the milieu 1000 Empty Quarter sector data. Legally this would suggest that SR can carry on as normal with no legal redress.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:36 pm 
Administrator

Commander Drax wrote:
Hi Guys, this quote was taken from the stellar reaches blog pages. As matt at mongoose has already said, what is open stay's open. So really it looks like mongoose are trying to lay claim to something that really doesn't belong to them, namely the milieu 1000 Empty Quarter sector data. Legally this would suggest that SR can carry on as normal with no legal redress.

I don't think Mongoose are trying to claim anything that doesn't belong to them. SR is non-commercial product and it's for an older version of Traveller, so it comes under the FUP and doesn't clash with anything that Mongoose says.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:00 am 

Yep, the only issue would be that SR can't publish any Empty Quarter (or other OTU except Foreven Sector) stuff specifically for MGT. Which shouldn't be much of a problem except for adventures,where you do really need to provide some stats. But I guess this could be worked around by producing a conversion article based on the MGT SRD, so people could use that to convert any CT or MT or T20 stats.

I'm more surprised by the claim that the fan policy claims to cover all other Traveller systems - I'd have thought there would have been some kind of announcement to that effect on the GURPS and Avenger sites (of course I'm not expecting to hear anything from QLI ever agaon ...). But then, I don't know what's been going on behind the scenes - perhaps getting all of these agreements is what took so long.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:20 am 
Administrator

Vile wrote:
I'm more surprised by the claim that the fan policy claims to cover all other Traveller systems - I'd have thought there would have been some kind of announcement to that effect on the GURPS and Avenger sites (of course I'm not expecting to hear anything from QLI ever agaon ...). But then, I don't know what's been going on behind the scenes - perhaps getting all of these agreements is what took so long.

Yeah, I kinda wonder about that myself. I haven't asked at SJG, but I have a feeling if I do they'll go "WTF? Er, no!"

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:23 am 

Vile wrote:
Yep, the only issue would be that SR can't publish any Empty Quarter (or other OTU except Foreven Sector) stuff specifically for MGT. Which shouldn't be much of a problem except for adventures,where you do really need to provide some stats. But I guess this could be worked around by producing a conversion article based on the MGT SRD, so people could use that to convert any CT or MT or T20 stats.

I've just converted a few subsectors from MGT to CT and it was quite painless - took a very few minutes per subsector. And the UWPs are pretty much the same between editions, except for MGTs new base codes, MGT's world temperatures and minor variations in trade codes, so you could use CT UWPs with MGT with no major problems.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:01 pm 

The nice thing is that the UWP is systemless. HOW you generate the UWPs is what might be different, but if you just present the data there are no rules.

Temperature is the only sticking point. No other official version of Traveller produced Temperature as part of the basic world gen did it? Sure you could come up with a Temperature Table of your own (I have used one for several decades now), but you might not be able to call them by the Mongoose names (although they are pretty generic).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:28 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Temperature is the only sticking point. No other official version of Traveller produced Temperature as part of the basic world gen did it? Sure you could come up with a Temperature Table of your own (I have used one for several decades now), but you might not be able to call them by the Mongoose names (although they are pretty generic).

I have not seen the MGT book yet, but what is this Temperature part of the UWP you speak of? I don't really fathom how that could be reduced to a single attribute.

Take our own planet for example, what would the temperature code be in the UWP? Do you take it from the Temperate zone, where most folks live, from the Arctic or Antarctic regions, the equatorial zone? an average of all of them? It seems a bit too coarse of an attribute to attempt to boil down like that.

Of course, if MGT is calling it "Desert world", "Forest world", "Ice world", etc. ala GL, then it's just silly IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm 

Well, after you roll Size and Atmosphere, you roll on a 2D table to determine Average world temperature. There are DMs for the type of atmosphere. The Temperature then causes DMs on Hydrographics.

It is not part of the UWP, because strictly speaking, MGT doesn't use the UWP, although they acknowledge it's existence and explain what each part means.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:05 am 

Ahh, okay.

I never got that deep into planetary creation, I usually just created what I needed for the plot if it was not already available from existing canon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next