SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Should Freelance Traveller support...
... Diaspora? 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
... Hyperlite? 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
... Starblazer Adventures? 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
... other non-Traveller SFRPGs (specify in comment)? 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Just stick with Traveller! 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Total votes: 22
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm 

We've had a couple of people offer us articles that don't properly fit within our Traveller remit. We've also printed reviews of a few non-Traveller products, because we thought our readers might have been interested in mining those products for their Traveller campaign. So, we're looking at the possibility of a cautious expansion beyond pure Traveller, into what might be called 'close cousins'. Hence the poll - please tell us what you think!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am 

I'd like to see more other stuff.
But I am probably not the target audience Traveller is just one of many rpg's to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm 

While I think Traveller should be the main focus, there are several other very good games out there that could be mentioned. I have found that inspiration comes in many forms and something written for a fantasy game might inspire me to add something to my Traveller game.

Stars Without Number is another SF game that I think could use some coverage. It is a mix of D&D mechanics with Traveller, but with a higher TL base and a working/justified system for psionics.

More is Better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:03 pm 

I would say Stick With Traveller. Unless you have a specifically non-Traveller section for other SFRPGs.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:21 pm 

I think all SFRPGs have some utility for one another. Don't know about Hyperlight, but I'd also vote for Stars Without Number. Heck, I'd love to see some Ringworld or Future*World, but I think the chance is slim.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm 

So long as you are confident you can retain a clear editorial identity I think this could work fine.

By editorial identity, I mean that the non-Traveller material needs to fit in with the Traveller tone of the magazine. For example transhumanist and cyberpunk might not be suitable. However games such as Stars Without Numbers and Diaspora have a similar kidn of feel to raveller and migth fit in well.

I think there's no harm including a few select articles of this kind on a trial basis and see how your readers respond. You might even find yourself acquiring a new community of readers from fans of these games, if they see similar synergies between the Traveller material in the magazine and their own games.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 am 

It worked for years for White Dwarf. Can't hurt to try.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 pm 

No point in thinning the blood with Faux-Traveller articles, unless you're finding yourself short on quality Traveller material. I say better to fill the empty spaces with articles about science fiction (movies, books, etc) and actual science articles, the way SPI's Ares magazine used to with their "Science for Science-Fiction" articles.

"I'm not suggesting anything Doctor. If I want to throw a baby out an airlock I'll do it."- President Laura Roslin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 pm 

I would like you to stick with Traveller, but, I would also want to see things like Cthulhu Rising get more coverage. My Traveller games are very broad but the problem with Freelance Traveller is that it is the best Traveller fanzine and is known as such. I remember being mildly disappointed when Challenge diversified into T:2000 then later into other games. That said, I always used those ideas in my many other games. I fear if Freelance Traveller does go too far into other games - you might pick up a few new fans but alienate many older ones. So, I am really in the middle on this one (I know I am going to get hit by one coming traffic in both directions).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
Administrator

(note: this is an old thread from 2011, I don't even know if FreeTrav is still considering any of this - but I'm sure your opinions would still be appreciated!).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!