SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 am 

Probe! Probe! Probe! Probe!

I suggest Orion or Daedalus propulsion. I think we have a few pulse units lying around that might as well be put to that use as the plausible alternative.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 am 

EDG wrote:
Vile wrote:
Yes, indeedly. High time we sent a robe that way, what?
Yes, because those poor overheated aliens really need a dressing gown around now :-P

I foresee more of this sort of thing as mobile devices catch on ... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
Holy Dooley!

There is a planet with a mass comparable to Earth orbiting Alpha Centauri B! http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Nearest_Star_Has_Earth_Mass_Planet_999.html

Yay! :)
Now that we know there's at least one house next door, how do we find out if someone's living there (Not this particular world which unpleasant, but maybe there's more)?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm 

Well unfortunately, it seems to so close to AC-b that it is likely to have a molten rock surface. No water - no life.

BUT, where there is ONE planet, there is likely more planets and if AC-b can have planets, so might AC-a...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 am 
Administrator

http://phl.upr.edu/library/media/theneareststarstoearth

Handy-dandy illustration of the nearest stars to Sol, including how many planets they're known to have!

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 pm 

Sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:44 pm 

Astronomers Conduct First Remote Reconnaissance of Another Solar System

Astronomers claim to have studied the spectra of four red planets (I don't know their masses but I'll assume they're gas giants since that's most of what we've found so far) orbiting HR 8799 128 light years away. As temperatures are estimated to be around 1000 K, we're not talking Earth-like conditions, but as proof of concept it's great.

On the page you'll find a short video showing HR 8799's location with respect to Earth and a pdf with a link to the study.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:48 pm 

We are well over 1000 charted exoplanets now. Anyone heard anything about probes, extended baseline telescopes a couple of AU appart or other improved ways of mapping things? Is it time to put more sensitive and capable radio ears into orbit?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:22 am 

Here is a nice find! HD 133131 is a binary system of two low-metallicity G2 main-sequence stars separated by 360 AU, lately discovered to contain at least three giant planets, at least two orbiting one star and at least one orbiting the other. The giant planets are in the 1.5 to 2.5 M range, in moderately eccentric orbits at about 1.4 to 6.4 AU.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 pm 
Administrator

Nice find! :)

"Astronomers have found a system of seven Earth-sized planets just 40 light-years away. Using ground and space telescopes, including ESO’s Very Large Telescope, the planets were all detected as they passed in front of their parent star, the ultracool dwarf star known as TRAPPIST-1. According to the paper appearing today in the journal Nature, three of the planets lie in the habitable zone and could harbour oceans of water on their surfaces, increasing the possibility that the star system could play host to life. This system has both the largest number of Earth-sized planets yet found and the largest number of worlds that could support liquid water on their surfaces."

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1706/

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next