SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 pm 
Administrator

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBDXv4rzvY

It's only two episodes in length (I'd love to see a full length Attenborough series about the evolution of life from Cambrian to modern age!), but I cannot recommend this miniseries enough if you want some ideas for alien life and environments. It's all about how multicellular life began on Earth, with examples of all those wacky creatures from the Burgess Shales and elsewhere.

Great stuff.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 pm 

The Attenborough series of the evolution of life from pre-Cambrian to modern is called Life on Earth. Unfortunately it was made in 1979, so it is a bit dated in places (e.g. the old reconstruction of Hallucigenia). Even more unfortunately modern telly will not support a series that has several episodes before you lay eyes on a vertebrate (Sir David excepted).
Clips from the series are here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002wnhw/clips Some of them may not be viewable outside the UK for copyright reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:08 pm 
Administrator

Really? Huh. I remember watching that, but it was when it was first on (ages ago!) and I just thought it covered life on earth in general, not its evolution too. I'll have to track that down again.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:30 pm 

It does life in chronological order of appearance of the major groups, from stromatolites to people, with the story arc being an evolutionary one (e.g. "and then reptiles evolved the waterproof eggshell"). It does fossils now and then, but obviously most of the filming was of living species.

Lost Worlds, Vanished Lives is the old Attenborough series which is all fossils. But that one is more about how they form, and less about evolution per se. With one episode dedicated to dinosaurs.