SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:03 am 

Climate change causing thaws of permafrost may release things that have been frozen for a long long time.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/siberias-me ... ury-395202

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:13 pm 

Ishmael wrote:
Climate change causing thaws of permafrost may release things that have been frozen for a long long time.

There is no evidence that the Variola virus (smallpox) can survive any significant amount of time in any environment, but the Anthrax bacillus is a different animal because it can form endospores, which are almost impossible to destroy. However, it is far more dangerous for certain animal species than for humans, who can usually be treated successfully with antibiotics. Overall the article is perhaps bad news for reindeers, but not really for humans (unless their livelihood depends on reindeers, of course).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:40 pm 

Well I've been vaccinated for smallpox, so I'm safe! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:06 pm 

Carnobacterium pleistocenium and Pithovirus sibericum both demonstrate that the possibility that virii and bacteria could survive being frozen for 300 centuries or more. There is the possibility of unique life-forms from Lake Vostok and Blood Falls.

In addition, there could be issues concerning toxic chemical/radioactive releases from artificial artifacts under ice such as may eventually happen when melting exposes project iceworm, a network of tunnels in the greenland icecap originally meant as a series of mobile nuclear ballistic missile launch sites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm

hmmm.... how about a government research center as in 'andromeda strain' built into antarctic ice if biological weapons had taken the forefront over nuclear weapons during the cold war on earth?

Besides, weird things exposed after being thawed out of a block of ice has been a popular sci-fi trope for decades.
seems like fodder for a game or background to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:18 pm 

What about diseases that had been extinct for thousands or tens of thousands of years except for some frozen remains which now thaw - diseases for which nobody on Earth has any kind of built-up resistance? Wouldn´t that mean that such diseases would as deadly for us as when European diseases spread across the New World in the 16th century?

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 pm 

IF those diseases even affected humans at all. Most diseases don't cross between a lot of species. I would think that if a particular species, or genus or family didn't exist when the disease went dormant, it could be relatively benign. BUT, it is just as likely that having no immunity could kill.