SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:52 am 

Gaia is an orbiting observatory operated by the European Space Agency (ESA), a successor to Hipparcos. The ESA has published the data from the first year of Gaia's five-year mission: positions, magnitudes, and proper motions of over a billion stars; accurate parallaxes for one million of the closest.

Report in Space Daily

The data are available for download from the ESA website: http://gea.esac.esa.int/archive/

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Last edited by Agemegos on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:32 am 
Administrator

I've had a quick look at the TGAS data - big snags from a worldbuilding perspective is that there don't appear to be any spectral types associated with the stars, and the stars only have HIP and TYC names (so they'll have to be matched up with more common names with database merging kludgery). And there are a few stars with negative parallaxes, so those aren't right (they are a minority though).

Still, it's pretty awesome. I'm only really interested in the stars within about 200ly from Sol so those should be good. Whether it's got every single red or brown dwarf in the neighbourhood also remains to be seen though (Hipparcos only had the brighter stars, at least).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:06 am 

Completely agreed — right down to my sharing your sphere of interest. I reckon that there are enough stars within 175 light-years of Earth that they could plausibly have more habitable planets than I know what to do with. Hipparcos data is reasonably complete out to 85 light-years — at least with respect to stars that are promising prospects for human-habitable planets — and lists 1,729 stars in that volume. 175 light-years is over twice that, suggesting 15,000 stars. With optimistic but defensible assumptions I get human-habitable worlds in 6.77% of systems: 1,021 within 175 LY.

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:20 am 

I hope the people who produced XHIP are excited by this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:11 pm 

I am very psyched about this data.

Thanks for the linky!