SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 pm 

The pandemic lockdown prompted me to pick this up, and it has been keeping me pretty busy (and sane).

It is clearly a descendant of Master of Orion, but I like where they've taken it. The use of hyperlanes gives it just a bit of a 2300 feel, which is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:12 pm 

I´m not playing it right now - currently it´s more Crusader Kings II, also from Paradox - but I used to, and probably will again sooner or later.

I especially like how wide a variety of options it provides you to tailor your species and your empire. Pick any one civilization from science fiction, and chances are you can either start with an empire like it, or develop towards it as you progress through the tech tree and unlock traditions.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:26 pm 
Administrator

I like the idea of Stellaris and I've started a couple of games, but I've come to the conclusion that there's just too much going on it these big civ games for me to deal with.

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:17 pm 

Fair enough. These sorts of games generally work better as turn-based games, but the Paradox games are generally manageable, especially if you don´t turn game speed up too high and can set them to auto-pause when something important happens.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 am 

It can definitely be a lot to deal with, and there are times when I feel like I should be paid to do all the administrative stuff. But the story elements are really fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 pm 

Oh yes. My son got me hooked on Stellaris. I've spent a good deal of time playing it to stay sane. I agree about all the administrative stuff. But all the micro-managing has helped me to learn how things work in the game. It's fun though! I lose all track of time. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:17 pm 

Started playing it a while ago. The difficulty curse is very steep. Wonderful story, but alien civilizations are still ahead of me... Will continue learning it after I finish the Mass Effect trilogy once more.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King