SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Original Galactica!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:56 am 
Administrator

So Netflix has finally swayed me... ostensibly with Stargate SG-1 and the Star Trek movies, but I found they have the original Galactica on there too! So I just watched the pilot "Saga of a Star World" again...

It's still pretty damn awesome. The destruction of the colonies is a lot messier - none of this surgical nuke strike stuff (surprising, since this was made in the 70s when people were more worried about nuclear annihilation), the raiders just went in there and blew everything up in strafing runs. And I'd forgotten how awesome Colonel Tigh was - not as frakked up (hrm. didn't hear that said at all! Though there was a lot of "Felgercarb!") as the modern version, but he was solid righthand man.

I was also pleasantly surprised at some of the references from the original series that made it through to nBSG - they went through a region of space that was "so bright that it would burn ships" (the Nova of Madagon) which also appeared in a different form in "The Passage" episode of the reimagining. And there is a part where Adama almost gives up (like the Old Man does in the reimagining a couple of times).

And of course, we had was Jane Seymour (Serena), Laurette Sprang (Cassiopeia) and Maren Jansen (Athena). :)

But yeah. That rocked. I know some of the episodes weren't so good later on (and let's not mention Galactica 1980), but I'll definitely be watching the Kobol two-parter and the Pegasus episodes again!

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

Post subject: Re: Original Galactica!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 am 
Administrator

Though man, Gun on Ice Planet Zero has terrible pacing. It's a two-parter, with pretty much one entire part's worth of "people slogging through the snow" thrown in as filler!

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:40 pm 

Too bad we don't have NetFlic and Hulu here in Israel... :(

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:42 pm 

I think that one came out about the same time as the second Star Wars movie, so Ice Planets were all the rage.

Yes, I like some of the early episodes of BSG as well. The scenes where Apollo and Starbuck are touring some of the fleet, looking at what needs to be done and talking about how they are going to feed everyone and keep the machines running is very insightful - unfortunately they never really followed up on that stuff and went all campy instead.

The original series had a lot of potential, but descended into camp too quickly to be taken seriously.

Virgins riding unicorns and "gunfights" with amnesiac Cylons just didn't cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 pm 

I just read up on that episode on en.battlestarwiki.org.

The writeup makes it sound awsome - the dirty dozen guns of navarone on ice station zebra.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 am 
Administrator

Yeah, the idea was interesting, the execution was awfully drawn out though. Still, it had some interesting side-ideas with the scientist who invented the pulsar gun and who created the clones.

Just watched "The Living Legend" - the original Pegasus episodes. The original Cain was pretty cool, unlike the new one who was pretty much instantly dislikeable (not the actress' fault though - that was all down to the character). Apparently they originally wanted Jane Seymour to play the new Cain - which would have been more interesting historically since she played Serena in the original series - but she turned it down. I like to think the original Pegasus survived, though how far she'd get without most of her crew is uncertain.
I originally watched this as the "Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack" movie - I remember going to Leicester Square and watching that at the cinema! It was pretty cool on the big screen :) - though apparently for the movie they mashed it together with the next episode "Fire in Space" (which I'll watch tomorrow).

(I'm skipping the filler episodes, which usually tended to devolve into Space Westerns on backwater planets).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Administrator

There are some nice bits of humour in the original series too - Lucifer always has some snarky comment at Baltar's expense, and even the cylons have some comedy moments too, such as this scene from when Baltar's sitting in a Cylon raider watching the Galactica burn and getting caught completely off-guard by the Pegasus:

Quote:
Cylon Centurion: Sir! If I may...
Count Baltar: I don't want to miss a moment of the last battlestar's destruction!
Cylon Centurion: I really think you should take a look at the other battlestar!
Count Baltar: What are you babbling about? *doubletakes at the Pegasus bearing down on his ship* It's impossible!

A Cylon going "uh, boss...?!" makes the series totally worthwhile on its own :).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:13 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
The scenes where Apollo and Starbuck are touring some of the fleet, looking at what needs to be done and talking about how they are going to feed everyone and keep the machines running is very insightful - unfortunately they never really followed up on that stuff and went all campy instead.

To some extent this happened in NBSG, too. I was always hoping for more stories on the other ships, but instead things concentrated more and more on the Galactica and her crew.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:42 am 
Administrator

oBSG went out with a good one - "The Hand of God", where they quit running and take a basestar head-on. That's the one that had Starbuck and Apollo sneaking on board and sabotaging it, and waggling the wings of their returning cylon raider to show that they weren't cylons (also repeated in nBSG when Starbuck gets stranded on a planet with a crashed cylon raider). And then there's the final scene where you're pretty much screaming "GAH! SO CLOSE!" at the screen.

The supporting characters surprised me a bit too - both with continuity and their general awesomeness. Sheba (Anne Lockhart, the other original BSG babe :)) is still looking for her father and the Pegasus, and later in the series they remember that they have Baltar captured and that they have his cylon fighter that he came over with (which was used in the aforementioned Hand of God). Colonel Tigh and Boomer deserved more of their own episodes too (I guess the excellent Fire in Space was one of for both of them), and it would have been nice to have some more focus on Casseiopeia, and Rigel and Omega (whose roles, along with Athena's, got split between Dee and Gaeta in the new series). And on the other side, Lucifer is completely awesome and used far too little!

One of the things I do prefer about the new series is the lack of humans or aliens. The cylon annihilation of humanity is rather half-hearted in the original series - it seems that they just attack the colonies and then leave. Meanwhile, Galactica encounters a different human colony pretty much every week!

The War of the Gods stuff was a little silly, but the idea of 'greater powers playing with the humans' was there in Season 1 of Space 1999 too, so maybe it was a sign of the 70s or something. I loved the observation by Baltar that Count Iblis' voice was the same as that of the Imperious Leader (which I guess they planned all along), and Iblis shoots down the idea that they're one and the same while completely not denying it :).

It's a shame that it didn't continue for more than one season - a few more seasons of fleeing the cylon tyrrany would have been really interesting (yes, I know there was Galactica 1980. That might as well have been a completely different show, given the gigantic reduction in quality and totally different focus).