SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SF songs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 pm 

What SF songs are there of which recordings have been released commercially? '39 by Queen, obviously. What else?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Post subject: Re: SF songs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:17 am 
Administrator

A whole mountain of prog rock, for a start ;)

Rush's 2112 (and many more songs throughout their history)
ELO's Time album (with songs such as Yours Truly 2095, Ticket to the Moon, Here is the News, etc)
Ayreon (Anthony Arjen Lucassen) has done a ton of great stuff, best to start with his epic Universal Migrator (pts 1 and 2) and 01011001 albums (spanning all of time and space, pretty much), or his Star One albums (two albums of songs based on specific SF movies including Outland, Stargate, Alien, Blade Runner, and Firefly), and his solo "Welcome to the New Real" concept album.
Marillion's "Asylum Satellite #1" and "The Man from the Planet Marzipan" from their Happiness is the Road album.
Megadeth's "Psychotron" is about a Terminator-type cyborg.
Nine Inch Nails' 'Year Zero' concept album is kinda SF, more a dystopian future/end of the world thing.
Coheed and Cambria have done several SF concept albums.

There's lots of SF songs out there! You can probably find most of those on youtube...

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:45 am 
Administrator

A few more...

The entire B-side (remember those? "The Second Half" for all you new fangled types who don't... ;) ) of Queensryche's "Rage For Order" album was somewhat SF in concept too - more so than their other magnum opus Operation:Mindcrime anyway (which is still worth listening to, if you haven't heard it): The songs are Neue Regel/Chemical Youth/London/Screaming In Digital/I Will Remember.

Gary Numan had a few early songs that with SF (mostly robotic) concepts - e.g. Are Friends Electric, Down in the Park.

Battle Beast (a Finnish metal band) has some post-apocalyptic Terminator-esque stuff (Armageddon Clan)

Then there's Bolt Thrower, who are all about WH40K. And even Slough Feg who did an album called "Traveller" about Vargr.

Tool's "Rosetta Stoned" from their 10000 Days album describes an encounter with a "grey" alien.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am 

"Rocket Man" by Elton John

"Flash" ("Flash Gordon" theme) by Queen

There´s also a German song, "Major Tom", I don´t remember by whom, that´s about an astronaut. IIRC the guy ends up drifting through space.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:03 pm 

How about Prince's "1999" - He wrote it in the 1980s.

Styx's "Come Sail Away" - One of my all-time favorite songs!

Styx's entire "Mr. Roboto" Album/Opera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:53 pm 

Would the Traveller album by Weird Lord Slough Feg count? I've never actually heard it, but supposedly, each track is essentially an episode from a Traveller campaign...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm 

Yeah that counts.

There's also a band called The Sword whose album, Warp Riders, is sci-fi concept album. I saw them open for Kyuss Lives.

"10,000 Light Years from Home" is a sci-fi tune from The Rolling Stones. Hendrix had "Third Stone from the Sun". The Who had "905". Pink Floyd had "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Astronomy Domine".

Megadeth also had "Hangar 18" and "Return to Hangar" in their sci-fi mix.

Monster Magnet often have sci-fi elements in their lyrics and some of their album artwork. Those elements though tend to be stuff you'd expect out of Burrough's John Carter of Mars type stuff.

Hum also has some sci-fi elements in their lyrics. Check out "The Pod" and "Stars" from You'd Prefer an Astronaut and Downward Is Heavenward.

Iron Maiden wrote an ode to Dune with "To Tame a Land". Their Somewhere In Time album has a sci-fi feel with "Eddie as Cyborg" album cover and the addition of guitar synths to the mix. Brave New World featured a futuristic London on the cover. Again the songs have a sci-fi-ish feel to them, but perhaps the titles have something to do with it. I don't have their latest, The Final Frontier, but the artwork is decidedly sci-fi horror schlock. Haven't heard anything off of it yet either so, beyond the title track, not sure how it comes across.

There was a band called Galactic Cowboys who were based out of Houston and were NASA devotees. Their self-titled album had a few songs with sci-fi bits: "Sea of Tranquility", "Pump Up the Space Suit" and "Ranch on Mars."

Faith No More had an instrumental entitled "Woodpecker From Mars."

The cover art for Failure's Fantastic Planet was decidedly retro with rockets and armed astronauts landing on an alien world. Can't say that the songs were sci-fi though.

The videos for Mastodon's "Sleeping Giant" and "Oblivion" are definitely sci-fi.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm 

Sammy Hagar had an album called "Marching to Mars" with the title song making a bit of a splash... not really a scifi theme, but using the Mars idea for war.. MAYBE...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 am 

Looking back, I think this one was the archetypical science fiction
song for me, "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9NBrooTJw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:53 pm 

OH MAN! I had forgotten about that one!